Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Information button on Control bar

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Does anyone remember the older versions of Captivate and how they had an information button, an 'i' icon, that could be displayed on the control bar? When you clicked this icon it displayed details about the file that you see in the Project Information section - email, website, project name, etc.

I'm just wondering if this same function is available in 5.5, as I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This one is very odd. I say odd, because it was my own understanding that version 5 was a complete re-write using a different code base. If this were the case, the function should not be present to coax this behavior. While it's no longer an option that can be enabled from the playback controls (unless, of course, you are a Flash developer with the God control over things) you can still coax this dialog to appear using an Advanced Action along with (and here's the kicker and reason for the above statements regarding the re-write) a specific variable that remains undocumented among the variables for 5 and 5.5.

Try using the variable named rdcmndInfo and you should see the good old Information Box.

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the best!

Now, variables are a bit new to me. Under Project -> Variables, i add new and use rdcmndInfo with a value of 0.

What other settings need to be adjusted? Type - user or settings, then do I need to adjust anything further?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Frankly, I'm surprised you were able to add the variable because it should be existing already. All you should need to do is create an Advanced Action that sets the value, then create a trigger that launches the Advanced Action.

At least that's how it seemed to work a month or three back when this question came up last. I need better search ninja skills. Couldn't find that thread to point you to.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like the answer to my question however I lack that level of expertise to follow these steps. If there's instructions somewhere on how to do this, precisely, I'd love to know.

Also, you're skillz are pretty mad already - ninja or non ninja.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, my bad. You DO have to create the variable. I found the thread. I recorded the steps for you to watch. See if this helps.

Click here to view the steps

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so wonderful. Thank you very much!

How can this info button be part of the playback control bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Default' skin has the 'i' button, by the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. That's what I was looking for, however I still need to customize this so that you don't see things like the Adobe Captivate icon on the playbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy

Ummm, perhaps you are on Captivate 5 and not 5.5? Mine doesn't have this as shown below:

Click image for larger view

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r Select the skin 'Default' not the captivate default one. You'll see the icon there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, that's the problem with defaults. There are so many to choose from!

Thanks... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like there's different ways to go about this but ultimately if one wants the info icon within the playbar, they have to choose the default skin, which can't really be customized that much - like removing the Adobe Captivate logo that's placed on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I would encourage you to submit a Wish Form to ask the dev team to consider allowing us to include the Info button on any playbar if we like.

Aside from that, you do have the ability to customize the playbars. If you know the dark arts of Flash programming.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly my skillz in the Flash dark arts development are pretty limited.

I will definitely submit it as a wish list item. I don't know why it's gone. Used to be a selection option you could just de-select, if I recall correctly.

Perhaps I can use my skillz of pursuasion to have someone develop the playbar so the info icon can appear. I have 6 tutorials I developed for an outside company and they are all custom coloured. It would be easiest to just have that playbar so I can customize the colours but have the info icon included as well.

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi there

I would encourage you to submit a Wish Form to ask the dev team to consider allowing us to include the Info button on any playbar if we like.

Aside from that, you do have the ability to customize the playbars. If you know the dark arts of Flash programming.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Does anyone know where the source .fla files are located for these playbars in case we wanted to try and customize them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Andy

Ummm, perhaps you are on Captivate 5 and not 5.5? Mine doesn't have this as shown below:

sounds like you found what I was referring to.  I screw up sometimes, but usually not that badly 🙂

but yes, as crescendo pointed out, it's not an ideal skin for most of us due to the adobe branding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources