Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Concerning header files and include files

Apr 4, 2012 9:44 AM

I presently have a site I created in Frontpage 2003, Gunshows-USA.com.  It has seperate pages for each state and month.  I had a header file called head.shmtl that I included on each page.  This allowed me to create one file and reuse it on 50 different pages.  I was also able to place it on the page in such a way that I could include it under the Title of the page and even iinsert an indiviual banner above the header.shtml.  Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?  If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Earl Kurburski

Earl Kurburski wrote:

I presently have a site I created in Frontpage 2003, Gunshows-USA.com.  It has seperate pages for each state and month.  I had a header file called head.shmtl that I included on each page.  This allowed me to create one file and reuse it on 50 different pages.  I was also able to place it on the page in such a way that I could include it under the Title of the page and even iinsert an indiviual banner above the header.shtml.  Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?  If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of?

Never heard of the header and footer function in DW5.5 unless they are html5 specific tags you can now insert.

Dreamweaver still lets you include .shtml include files or php include files........so you would just do the same as what you have always done.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Earl Kurburski

Earl Kurburski wrote:

Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?

Can you elaborate on what you're referring to here?

I'm not aware of any special header and footer function in 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Apr 4, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to John Waller

Looking at the page code, you are just using Server Side Includes for the footer, not sure about your header. Function tagged on the end of these has no meaning to myself and guessing, the other here. As Os states above, you can still include them in your pages.

Insert/Server Side Includes (at the location of your curser), then browse to the file.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Apr 9, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Earl Kurburski

Use of a template will not give you the results you are looking for. If you update the template, each local page will update but will still have to be uploaded to the server individually. If what you edited on the template is used on ten pages, ten pages will have to be uploaded to your webserver. So no, you will not be able to update one file across the website on multiple pages. Server Side Includes is what will do that.

A template is just that, a way of keeping consistancy throughout your site.

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points