Skip navigation
LGucci21
Currently Being Moderated

After installing PS CS6, PS CS5 Type tool no longer works

Apr 3, 2012 11:06 AM

Tags: #cs5 #error #type #bugs #cs6 #cs6_beta #cs5_error_message #type_error #text_edit_error

After doing the basic installation of PS CS6 Beta, opening and closing 1 file as well as closing the CS6 Beta program then returning to PS CS5, I can no longer make editable text fields, or edit existing text fields in any document - new or old.

Error message when trying to edit an existing text field (clicking inside the text): "Could not complete your request because of a program error"

Error message when trying to create a new text filed (using the type tool clicking and dragging on the canvas):  "Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initalized"

CS6 must be doing something to previous versions of CS5, need this fixed asap - people still need CS5 to work!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to LGucci21

If you reopen CS6, can you edit text there in an old or new document?

Is this MAC or PC? OS?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to LGucci21

Error message when trying to edit an existing text field (clicking inside the text): "Could not complete your request because of a program error"

I'm seeing things like this too. It is repeatable for me, but not others. So I think there are  font problems in play. But mine is only in CS6, CS5 does not seem affected.

Quit Photoshop.

Relaunch.

Open new document.

Type a word and commit type.

Try to change typeface and I get the "program error" message. After about 2 or 3 long minutes, I am able to change typeface... 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to charles badland

Do you have default fonts, or are you trying to use some fonts you purchased or downloaded?

Can the fonts you are trying to use be used successfully in a program such as Microsoft Word?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to charles badland

Again, what OS version?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

The problem I'm seeing, which may be different from LGucci2, is probably related to some fonts I downloaded recently. But CS5 works fine, as well as others apps using fonts (AI, Word, Pages). I'm only seeing my problem on PsCS6. Disabling the the fonts did no good. In fact, even when the fonts were disabled... PsCs6 still seemed to be able to access them? (odd, I'll need to recheck that to make sure about that)

I'm on 10.6.8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to charles badland

MacOS has some interesting font caching bugs in the OS -  so the OS font cache could be causing problems.

See http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml for some ideas on how to troubleshoot the problems on your system.

I would start with steps 3 and 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris:

In the document which you referenced, the list of Required Fonts for CS5 includes a number of Middle Eastern and Asian Fonts.

I would like to have the option of preventing these fonts from displaying in the Typefaces Menu.

I use FontAgent Pro but those particular faces are not listed in its Libraries so there is no way to switch them off in the FAP panels.

If I did delete them from my System HD/Library/Fonts, would it seriously disrupt the operation of CS6 in any way?

I am running Maxc OSX 10.6.8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

Ann,

Try "importing" your entire HD as new font Library into FAP.  It may not be managing or even seeing the fonts installed by any application after you first set FAP up.

FAP is smart enough not to duplicate fonts it is already managing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

Of course, also don't forget to look for the name of any font out of alphabetical order in FAP.

Middle Eastern and Asian Fonts often are listed way at the bottom of the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to charles badland

"Could not complete your request because of a program error", this message is corrupted font usually.

What is the name of font and where did you download from? I like to test it in house.

You still see the font name after disabling font on 10.6.8? It could be "Automatic font activation" setting. Even though you do not use Font Book, it is on by default.

- Launch Font Book application > Preferences.. > Automatic font activation > Uncheck it and reboot your system then try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to LGucci21

We have a script that may help with corrupted font issues and duplicate font entries.

Please give it a try at the link below and let us know if it helped.

Thanks,

Pattie

FAQ: How do I clear out my font cache?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to LGucci21

The type tool in my PS CS5.1 no longer works. And i'm nervously clueless as to why it suddenly quite working. All other Adobe, and non-Adobe, apps appear to be working as needed, but Photoshop has suddenly decided to go rogue from the font set.

System Mac OS X 10.7.3

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

3rd Party Font Handling software: FontExplorer X Pro 3.1.1

I'm seeing the same "Could not complete your request due to program error" message upon launch of Photoshop and when attempting to use the Type tool.

Have ran the font test, as recommended in this discussion thread, and was alarmed to see the test results reveling that all 137 of 137 fonts are supposedly bunk. How can this be?

Any thoughts, tips, help would be uber appreciated,

n8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to n8trck

n8trck,

Did you check the "Clear font cache" option when running the script?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Also, Did you run the Font script in CS6 or CS5?

It is not designed to work with CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Heads up, it looks as if the new MAC OS X update had miscommunicated the font handling to FontExplorer X Pro. As upon sifting through the folder structure, it would appear the FontExplorer decided to deactivate a half dozen fonts. Upon reactivation...all is well and good again on the Typetography front.

Thank you kindly for your earlier reply in assistance,

n8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to n8trck

Thanks for the update n8.

Glad it's fixed!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...