Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I see wave but no spectral frequency and no sound

Mar 27, 2012 9:28 AM

I recorded 40 min sermon in multitrack. It's 245Mb file. I played on two different computers and with different programs but no sound. In CS 5.5 I see wave form but spectral frequency display completely black. What happen? Did I lose my recording?Untitled picture 2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to Kost7

If you choose Window > Amplitude Statistics and perform a scan, what are your results?  Does it indicate silence?

The visible waveform at this zoom level is stored in a separate .pkf file.  If you zoom into an area to the point you can see the individual samples, are they all flat at -INF?

When you press play, does the playhead move and the Time panel count up or does it appear frozen?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 2:10 AM   in reply to Kost7

Strikes me that you have the .pkf file for a recording, but no wav file with the actual audio in it, I'm afraid. Which is also what Durin is thinking, I believe...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

That is my suspicion, though I can't think of any good reason why this might have happened.

Kost7 - Can you tell me if there was anything out of the ordinary when you recorded this file?  Did Audition crash or were there any warning messages that popped up?  Were you ever able to hear any signal?

When Audition records in multitrack, it writes directly to a file on disk.  (In Waveform view, it records to a temp file as an intermediary step - not the case here.)  After the recording process has stopped, it scans the recorded file and generates a ".pkf" file which contains a lower-resolution representation of the waveform.

This implies that there WAS audio data in the WAV file at the time that pkf file was generated.  The only way I've been able to sort of simulate this behavior is by deleting the WAV file, but not the .pkf file, then opening the session up and recording a new clip on the same track.  In this scenario, the existing .pkf file does not appear to be regenerated to reflect the new recording.  I'll enter this as a bug, but I doubt you'd forget to mention this if it were your situation.

Is the session file displayed, 20120325.sesx, the one in which you recorded this session?  I notice it's only 30 seconds in duration, so I'm unclear if they're related.  Could there be a different session file on disk?  Have you tried previewing all of the wav files in the _Recorded subfolder where your session file is located?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to _durin_

Have you done a Search using Windows search to see if the file Take_004.wav still exists anywhere on your hard drives?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to Kost7

What happens when you remove the .pkf file and then reopen?  (You don't have to delete it, just rename it to .pkf_disabled or something)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Kost7

That definitely sounds like there's no actual audio data in the file, yet the peak file for some reason had stuff in it.

Needless to say, that's pretty serious.  Were you able to find where the file was originally recorded to?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Kost7

We recently experienced the same problem on a 2hr, 30min file, 210mb of mono, 44khz, 32-bit(float), file opens normally but there is no audio sound in Audition or Windows Media Player.  We've been recording sermons using Audition since 2006 and never experienced this problem before.  Looking for a solution and to recover the audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to Tom7894

Tom7894 wrote:

We recently experienced the same problem on a 2hr, 30min file, 210mb of mono, 44khz, 32-bit(float), file opens normally but there is no audio sound in Audition or Windows Media Player.  We've been recording sermons using Audition since 2006 and never experienced this problem before.  Looking for a solution and to recover the audio.

I have no solution to offer to the original problem but I have to say something looks very wrong if your file really is 44(.1, presumably), 32 bit and 2.5 hours long and only 210Mb (even in mono.)  This is based on my experience of recording sermons, 16 bit, 44.1kHz, stereo, where 30 minutes produces a file of around 295MB.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to emmrecs

Yes, the 2.5 hour .wav file should be around 1.5GB. Or was it originally a mp3 file?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points