Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color spaces not sticking...?

Apr 4, 2012 12:38 PM

Tags: #photoshop_cs5 #color_space #working_color_space

What's Confusing: I have a layered file, the color space assigned to it is sRGB. I save a png file via Save For Web, tick the option to convert export to sRGB. All looks good in the save for web 2-up preview. But when I open the new png file, it's color profile is set to Adobe RGB, and the color space looks off—not like it did in the SFW preview.

Details: My default color space is Adobe RGB. Sync'd across all CS5 apps. I have the option ticked to warn me on profile mismatches when opening a file. So far so good.

So it seems like my Working Space color (Adobe RGB) is overriding SFW settings as well as my document color space settings

Same thing happens when saving as a jpg.

Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to ladri-bici

ok: PNG does not support embedded profiles,

but you can "assign" a working one when opening it in PS, but you need to change your prefs: edit>colour settings> under color management settings check profile mismatches ask when pasting and ask when opening. Then open the file

G

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to Grant H

The PNG file format does support embedding ICC color profiles

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to ladri-bici

To erase, delete or reset Save For Web & Devices SFW preferences:

1. Open a small .jpg in Photoshop (to ungray the File menu).
    2. Mac: Press and hold Option+Command keys, while File> Save For Web Devices (you will get a prompt confirming you want to erase all Save for Web preferences).
    3. Windows PC: Press and hold Control+Alt keys, while File> Save For Web Devices (you will get a prompt confirming you want to erase all Save for Web preferences).

that should configure SFW default settings to CONVERT your Photoshop Source Space to sRGB and strip the ICC profile by default

How to reset Photoshop's preferences using special key combinations (most Adobe apps use this method of keystrokes):

1. First Quit Photoshop.
    2. Mac: Press and hold Command+Option+Shift keys, while opening Photoshop (you will get a prompt confirming you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop settings folder).
    3. Windows PC: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift keys, while opening Photoshop (you will get a prompt confirming you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop settings folder).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to gator soup

if you want a fast assign-convert tutorial:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/assignconvert.html#tutorial

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to ladri-bici

Saving out a PNG through Save For Web will strip the profile. The checkbox converts the numbers to sRGB, but the profile itself is stripped. So when you reopen this untagged file, the working space is assigned.

A regular Save As PNG, however, will keep the profile, although the "embed profile" checkbox is grayed out.

This is just how the current PNG implementation in Photoshop works. It makes no sense, but there it is. What you're seeing is in fact the standard "normal" behavior.

As for jpeg, the default with Save For Web is also to strip the profile, but here you at least have a choice to embed (you don't with PNG).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to ladri-bici

Save For Web is trying to minimize the file size, and a profile is just added nothingness because browsers are supposed to default to sRGB if there isn’t  profile.

If you want a different behavior than minimizing file size then just save the file using the normal Save As and choose to include the profile if you want.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points