Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS5 Slow to Open File... Enable Related Files

May 1, 2010 5:53 PM

Hello,

I have a page that uses the Fancybox script and it takes Dreamweaver 50 seconds to open this page.

This script requires jQuery, so in the head of my page I have this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>

If I comment that line out, the page opens immediately. Also, if I disable "Enable Related Files", the page opens immediately... neither option is a good one of course.

It's my guess that dreamweaver is retrieving and parsing the remote jQuery file which is what is slowing things down. How to I stop dreamweaver from going after remote files???

I was hoping setting "Discover Dynacially-Related Files" to "Disabled" would do the trick, but trying that has led me to another problem that I posted in a different topic which is that Dreamweaver won't save the selection for "Discover Dynamically-Related Files". That option always returns to "Manually".

Any ideas how to stop dreamweaver from retrieving remote files?

Thanks!

Peter

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 10:49 AM   in reply to peterallcdn

How about downloading the file and keep it in the local site?

Everytime you try to use it Dreamweaver must download it.

Ken Ford

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2010 7:00 PM   in reply to peterallcdn

I have disabled Related files and still it takes about 60sec/1min to open any first file. I keep getting the spinning ball, and the application is unresponsive in that that time. it doesn't matter what site I'm opening up! Opening my first file always takes about a minute. I have extensions installed by 3rd party, namely Webassist exensions.

Is anybody else having this problem, or can you give me a solutions.

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 10:07 AM   in reply to micdim1

I've been having this same issue with Dreamweaver CS5 since it came out.

I'll try to open up a 5kb file and it'll take long enough for me to go drain the lizard and wash my hands for it to finally open.

Ken Ford says "How about downloading the file and keep it in the local site? Everytime you try to use it Dreamweaver must download it."

I say "How about fixing it so it doesn't do that?" Web browsers don't need to download the remote file to use them. If the files are remote, chances are they are going to be read-only and you're not going to be able to upload any changes to a server you don't have write priveledges to anyway. Dreamweaver would be perfect accept for this major flaw. Time is money, and this "feature" of Dreamweaver wastes time...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 11:39 AM   in reply to peterallcdn

I am having the same issue - ever since CS5 came out. Certain files just takes a long time to load.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2011 12:00 PM   in reply to peterallcdn

I have the same problem opening pages that contain googlesyndication scripts (AdSense)

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2011 6:03 PM   in reply to sparkie1506

Hello, Mark et al.

The issue you describe sounds like the one described in this knowledgebase document:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/887/cpsid_88742.html

Try out the solution posted there and hopefully that will help you.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Thanks Carey. The knowledgebase article you referenced did the trick on my windows machine. I wasn't having the same wait times as others but even waiting 5 seconds to open an ASPX file in code view is rediculous. Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to peterallcdn

Good job Carey, the problem is fixed, thanks for the support

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Ya gotta love forums that are populated with helpful information! Thanks Carey. I've been struggling with this recently, and this worked perfectly. I'm stoked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Im on a mac with CS5 and I have started getting an issue with one of my sites where it is slow to open the files. I tried following the steps in the article you attached here but I can not find that preference file at  /Users/Your User Name/Library/Preferences. In fact, I don't have a library under /users/my name.

I can open files fine on a different site, but for some reason just this one is giving me trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to hawkmanva

Assuming you are using Mac OS 10.7 Lion, then the user Library folder is hidden by default. To access it, in the Finder, hold down the Option (or Alt) key and click the Go menu. When you have Option held down, you will see Library there, which you can click on to open it.

For some additional information, see: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-f iles.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points