Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question about the New ACR Corrections for Tonal Range

Mar 31, 2012 1:05 PM

I find the new set of controls for tonal range in CS7 to be excellent! However, I am curious about what controls what. Black and Shadows work as I would expect but Highlight and Whites do not, at least in terms of traditional photography.

Highlights and Shadows are grouped together as I would expect, Black and White also. But if we are to continue with that progression, White should control the clipping point and Highlights the values a 2 stops or so above middle gray. I would expect Highlights to be similar to Brightness in CS5 except better behaved. It's reversed. Highlights =Recovery in CS5

It's confusing so I am suggesting that White control clipping and Highlight the upper values.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

After setting the overall image brightness with Exposure, use Highlights and Shadows to set the relationship between the midtones, highlights, and shadows.

Whites and Blacks are the highlight & shadow clipping controls.This is useful for adjusting how much of the highlights & shadows are clipped off, while preserving the overall tonal relationships in the image.

Hope that helps.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie Foxhoven wrote:

After setting the overall image brightness with Exposure, use Highlights and Shadows to set the relationship between the midtones, highlights, and shadows.

Not wrong but I would go further...in PV 2012, Contrast has increased in importance. I know many/most user stayed away from adjusting Contrast in earlier versions, but I would suggest right after Exposure you adjust Contrast before going to Highlights and Shadows. If you are working on a low contrast scene, do look at increasing contrast after exposure. If you are working on a high contrast scene, reduct the contrast. The odds are that after contrast you'll see that either the higlights or the shadows will need more attention. The last place to fiddle is Whites and Blacks to fine tune the end points.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 4, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Basically, work top to bottom... 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot stand the new ACR tonal adjustments. Why the change in jargon? I have figured that the Shadow slider is basically a Fill light adjustment, but I miss the Brightness slider! Exposure adjusts highlights first, then upper midtones. Brightness adjusts the overall luminosity of the image starting with the midtones. Blacks should add punch to the darkest areas of the image. Fill light should fill in the lower midtones that are sometimes lost with increased contrast. Maybe I have it all wrong, but since working with the update, I have gotten several jobs back from clients saying that the shadows are lost or contrast is too high. It really has been a frustrating transition! Thanks for all of the tips, though. Maybe I just have to get used to it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to L.P.Baker

My impression is that it's more "touchy feely" than quantitative.

Try not to overthink it, but just move the sliders until the image gets better looking.  Stop when you can't make it better looking.

Yes, that seems almost silly, but try that mindset.  It seems to work.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to L.P.Baker

L.P.Baker wrote:

It really has been a frustrating transition! Thanks for all of the tips, though. Maybe I just have to get used to it?

The more you try to apply PV 2010 mentality to PV 2012 image adjustments, the more frustrated you will become. Forget what you THOUGHT you knew and embrace the functionality of the new processing controls. The quicker you become adept & comfortable using the new controls, the quicker you'll be getting better results–because make no mistake about it, PV 2012 is a vast improvement (even if it is difficult to adapt to).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 26, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Come over to the dark side.

In this case, they really DO have cookies!

I've noticed, however, that PV2012 is more "touchy feely", and those who think more analytically (as I think you do, Lawrence) seem to have more trouble making the adjustment.

Let go.  Use the force.  Turn off your targeting computer.  Just move stuff around until the image looks better!

One thing, though, and your comment about "lifting your finger off the mouse" reminded me...  Your system needs to be up to displaying the image changes in real time for "touchy feely" to work well.  Are you not seeing the screen update WHILE you're moving the sliders?  I am.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

I don't understand you comment about the gray values relative to ACR7 vs ACR6. 

I selected 50 RAW (NEF) files and converted these to JPG images using default values for both ACR6 and ACR7 (No adjustments to any images) .  I renamed the images so they would appear next to each other in a file.  I then ran a slide show of the images which first shows the ACR6 conversion and then switches to the ACR7 conversion of the same image.  I could not detect any change when the viewer switched between the ACR6 to the ACR7 conversion of the same image.  If there is a difference like you measured with your gray test I should see a difference in the two conversions, if I understand your test. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points