Skip navigation
rgiddings
Currently Being Moderated

'OPEN' not enabled.

Apr 2, 2012 10:29 AM

Every time I try to 'OPEN' from within PS, 'ENABLE' is blank, and all my images greyed out.

I can drag jpegs, RAWs, whatever onto the PS icon and they will launch, but opening from within PS requires setting 'ENABLE' at the bottom of the open palette.  Every time!  I thought it might work like preferences and show up the next time, but no....

I'm on a 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook with 8 gbs ram and an Nvidia GeForce 320M

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to rgiddings

There is no "open palette", just the OS open dialog.

And in that dialog, that is no "enable" button.

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to rgiddings

I've never seen an open dialog with "Enable" on it.

Please post a screen shot so we can see what you're talking about.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I am waiting to see what the answer is because I have this too and it is wretched. Like the OP, I thought once I told it to enable all documents it would go away and leave me be but it does not. If OP doesn't post screen shot soon, I will try to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

Gets a bit nuttier for me. I took a screen capture with Grab which saved it in Tiff format so I opened it in Photoshop and told it to save it as a .jpg but when I picked Jpeg, it saved it as a .dcm file! Tried all kinds of things but it never uses the right extension for what I tell it I want (ie. telling it to save it as a Jpeg 2000 puts an .eps extension on it. Tried just changing the extension manually but that didn't fool anybody. Sigh. I will try to get something that will do a jpeg capture and post that to show what the OP means and I guess I will have to start another thread for my "save as" difficulty. But first, dinner.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

Chances are you've tied Photoshop CS6 to a set of older plug-ins, for example from an earlier version of Photoshop.  Not sure how you did it; maybe you set an Extra Plug-ins folder, or maybe you copied some files.

Undo that then your save file extensions will be in proper order.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to rgiddings

Yes it sounds like you may be seeing an issue with having multiple File Format plugins being loaded by PS.

Please check for an additional plugins folder being pointed to from within Photoshop, or if you have dragged a folder of plugins over to CS6, please undo that action and see if you still have the same issues.

See similar topic at:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4287799

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to rgiddings

rgiddings wrote:

I'm talking about Photoshop, not Elements.

Open PS and go to FILE>OPEN.

A box appears and at the bottom one can ENABLE the selection of specific file

types or all readable file types.

Does it actually SAY the word "ENABLE" anywhere on your system?  People are asking you about this because the word "ENABLE" apparently does not appear on others' systems.  I know I don't see it (but I don't have a Mac).

What's the problem with grabbing your screen and posting it here to actually show others what you're seeing?  You'll need to use the web interface to do that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to rgiddings

Yes it sounds like you may be seeing an issue with having multiple File Format plugins being loaded by PS.

Please check for an additional plugins folder being pointed to from within Photoshop, or if you have dragged a folder of plugins over to CS6, please undo that action and see if you still have the same issues.

See similar topic at:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4287799

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

The "Enable" dropdown menu is there in the Open files Dialog box.

enabledropdown.jpg

I think we're getting caught up in there being some sort of button called enable. There aren't any of those. But the word Enable is visible in the Open dialog on a mac.

It's most similar windows counterpart would probably be the "Files of Type: all formats" drop down menu we see in the Open dialog.

Regardless, this is likely a plugin issue, and not a button issue, just need the OP to work on resolving the plugin problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Thank you smart people. When I disabled my additional plug in folder, my problem with "save as" was rectifiied. Then, the problem with "open" fixed itself because "all readable documents" is now stickied in the Enable drop down field and I don't have to scroll to the bottom of the extremely long menu list to get "all Readable documents". Now I just have to search these forums and figure out how to properly include my plugins. Again, thanks, that was a minor irritation but one that seemed to grow exponentially every time I had to do it!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to rgiddings

Glad that worked for you, and also for you Kimberly.

You might both (and anybody else reading) have a quick look at our FAQ relating to Plug-ins.

FAQ: How do I install my favorite plugins to Photoshop CS6?

This is something folks try to do with every new release, and it almost always breaks Photoshop's behavior in some-what unpredictable (yet expected) ways.

Some 3rd party plug-ins need to be updated by the manufacturer before they will work with a new animal (i.e. PS CS6 beta), and Photoshop doesn't like to load duplicates of the same plugin which is bound to happen when pointed to an old plug-in folder containing the same plug-ins.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to rgiddings

>> That's still a bug isn't it? CS6 PS won't accept old plug-ins.

No, it is not a bug as such. (there is an OS issue involved in the file format list, and we're working on that)

Photoshop CS6 does work with older plugins, but isn't going to be happy when you try to install all the Adobe plugins from a previous version of Photoshop (that were specific to that version of Photoshop).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points