Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keep edits when moving photos

Apr 5, 2012 6:19 AM

Tags: #lightroom #settings #export #import #editing #backup

It might be a strang sounding title but this is my question:

I once had to back-up all of my files to my external hard drive. After rebooting my computer I had to import all pictures in Lightroom again.

What I want to know is that if there's a possibility to save the corrections etc. I've made to a picture, then for example make a back-up and import the picture again on for example another computer with lightroom, and still be able to continue editing the picture, but still be able to recover the original one...

I hope you'll understand my... "explanation"

Thanks guys!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to BobM1990

I once had to back-up all of my files to my external hard drive. After rebooting my computer I had to import all pictures in Lightroom again.

This isn't making sense to me. If you made a backup, then your originals are still in the same location, right? No need to import all your photos, Lightroom should know where they are (same location as before).

What I want to know is that if there's a possibility to save the corrections etc. I've made to a picture, then for example make a back-up and import the picture again on for example another computer with lightroom, and still be able to continue editing the picture, but still be able to recover the original one...

Yes, this can be done. In fact, its very easy. You create a small catalog of the desired images -- select the images in your main catalog and then File->Export as Catalog. Make sure you click on "Include Negatives". Then, move all files created by this Export as Catalog to the new computer, and in Lightroom select File->Import from Catalog.

I am confused, I do not see the relationship of the first quoted paragraph to the second quoted paragraph.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points