Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How large is LR's database?

Apr 5, 2012 7:12 AM

Tags: #library #lightroom_4.0

I have 128g of photos and 142g of digital scrapbook files and would like to move them into LR 4. Will that effect the speed that the databse processes in? Can LR4 handle that many files ... and more to come?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Robin820

The gigabytes of your photo collection doesn't really influence the size or the speed of the database. The number of photos will have some influence on the size of the database, but unless you get to really huge numbers of photos, it shouldn't affect the speed of Lightroom. On relatively decent computers, people report catalogs of more than 200,000 (yes, that's two hundred thousand) images working properly and without noticeable slowdowns.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Robin820

Both PSE and Lightroom use databases. Obviously, the two use different programming code, and so could react differently to the same number of photos. While I can't guarantee that Lightroom is faster, I suspect it will be faster (although the new LR 4 has been slow for many users, and Adobe is working on it). The only way to know for sure is to try the 30-day free trial.

You still haven't mentioned how many photos and scrapbook files you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Robin820

I've not noticed any slowing down as my catalog has grown to 56,000 photos.  Searching functions are near-instant. 

In terms of size, my Lightroom catalog is just under 1Gbyte - not especially large considering the photos themselves take up 370Gbyte.  However, Lightroom also creates preview files which take up (in my case) another 24G.  It seems to create not only one preview per photo, but one folder per preview within the preview folder, which dramatically slows down operations like file copy and backup.  You want to make sure Lightroom previews are excluded from any backup!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Robin820

Hi,

I too am wondering how many pictures I can have in a catalog.  I am at about 30,000 with LR 4 and it is working fine so far.  I know the main purpose of LR is not to be a picture organizer, but it does such a wonderful job for me.  By using keywords, I can find any picture I want within 2 seconds or less.  I hope LR will continue to be a fast performer as a picture organizer.  I would hate to have to switch to another program.  I have tired Bridge and it is SLOW when it comes to sreaching a picture by keyword(s).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Kneedeep94523

I too am wondering how many pictures I can have in a catalog.  I am at about 30,000 with LR 4 and it is working fine so far.

This was already answered in the first response in this thread.

I know the main purpose of LR is not to be a picture organizer

I disagree! Organizing your photos is one of the main advantages of Lightroom!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Robin820

157,000 images here. Works just fine. Speed is good.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Robin820

I frequently work with one that's nearly 400,000 and know of larger catalogues too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Robin820

Just want to make a comment on the scrapbooking files. if you are planning on tagging and using keywords I hope you know that LR does not read .png files. Since all elements in digital scrapbook kits are .png you will have to convert those to .tiff to be able to tag them.

Just a fyi.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Robin820

Keywords are the way to go. They're easier to apply and are searchable. Think of collections as containers or groupings, keywords as being descriptive..

With locations, I would add them to keywords and to the 4 standard IPTC location fields - Country / State / City / Location because these can be used in the Library Filter Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Robin820

Did you have a look at the system Kayla Lamoreaux uses and teaches in her classroom? She has a free tutorial up on her website that explains step by step the process and the way to go with keywords. It's important that you first fill out her chart about how and what insprires you to scrap. If you know that you can start building on that and make a list of keywords. Some people are use just one digital scrapbook kit other use elements from different designers. Some are inspired by a photo others like me are inspired by journaling and I will look for photos to go with it. Once you have insight in your workflow you can start with organizing. As Kayla stretches it's important that the system fits you and not the other way around. If you have to bend over backwards to find something you'll get discouraged and it will not be a helpful system.

Have a look at her website and tutorial with videos and all. At the moment she has a disclaimer up, don't let that discourage you, because it is a freely available tutorial people who were not so computer savvy started to email hr for help and some did not get the conversion .png/tiff and problems arose. If you're confident enough to be able to pull off the conversion you should go ahead and use the system. She even has a list that you can download with keywords and designers already typed up,. Saves you hours of work, you can just inport it in LR.

She uses Bridge to make the conversion, I don't I have been a Graphic Converter user for 15 years and use that brilliant piece of software to do all my batch conversions.

Here is the tutorial link: http://digiscrap101.com/2011/02/before-you-do-anything-backup.html

I just started using her system as well and did my homework, as in preparing the files and folders for cataloging. So far I'm happy with how things are going. She uses 1 library for her photos and digital scrapbooking files. I don't, I use 2 libraries, 1 for my photos and 1 for my digital scrap art. I hate clutter, it makes me antsy ;-) so seeing my photos and my art in one library did not go down well with me. But if you don't mind than it's totally up to you how you use that.

Also I have my libraries and art and photos on my iOmega EHD. I have 2 of them linked together. One for back up and one for work, This way I can access my files with my laptop or with my iMac.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points