Skip navigation
Lost in Seattle
Currently Being Moderated

Font not showing up in Photoshop CS4 for Windows

Apr 4, 2012 2:58 PM

Tags: #fonts

I have fonts that I've installed in both my Windows XP and Windows 7 PCs.  They show up in the Control Panel - Fonts and open, they show up in Word, but do not show up in Photoshop CS4.  I see in the CS4 Mac forums that there is a way to register a font in CS4, but I can find nothing on doing that on a Windows PC.  Can anyone help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Lost in Seattle

There's nothing to do. In so many words: One of your fancy fonts is crap and messes with the Adobe font engine. Find the offender, remove it and then perhaps your otehr fonts will show up.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Lost in Seattle

Adobe programs are sensitive to font issues, and one, the Titler in Premiere, is the most sensitive. This ARTICLE was written primarily for Titler, BUT translates to PS too. Often, a corrupt, or poorly-designed font will crash Titler, where that same font will usually just fail to display in PS, though it might cause hangs. Tracking down the problem font is outlined in the above article.

However, even if a font is not corrupt, or bad, it just might not display properly in some Adobe programs. I found that Isabelle and Isabella (two different fonts, with similar names) and from several foundaries, just do not display in Photoshop, or Illustrator. They do not crash the program, or cause a hang, but they obviously have an issue, and just will not display. They also do not crash Titler, but do not display.

Other fonts, such as the older DejaVu, installed with OpenOffice, would crash Titler. I do not have that font, but do understand that Oracle has rewritten it, so that it now works OK.

Good luck, and it could well be that your problem font(s) can be replaced by a better one, that has similar characteristics, or can be replaced by the same font, but from another foundary.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Lost in Seattle

If one does not find "corrupt" fonts, that can be repaired, things become a bit tedious. It is not only corrupt fonts, but just poorly designed fonts, that can be the issue. There are also just plain "bad" fonts, that can cause problems.

On my graphics workstation, I have ~ 19,000 fonts, but I use a font manager (commercial), so that only about 350 are installed on the system, at any time, until I need to use others. I group mine by "style," "use," "Project," and even "Client." When needed, I just install the necessary Font Set.

I have run Font Doctor on all 19,000, and repaired (or replaced) about 35, but if I had to try and eliminate from that group, it would be a long day.

Good luck, and if you narrow things down to one font, please update this thread, and also send me a PM with the font name, and foundry. I will add it/them to the list. TIA.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points