Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

text flow between pages.

Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am laying out book content and I use a template. I like to know how to setup the speads so when I paste the text

the text would overflow to the next page of the spread. Right now it has to be cut and paste from the storyeditor and when it overflows somehow it does not go to the next page.

The template has the forst 3 pages where it does exactly that but I cannot distinguish how that is set up differently....

Ideally I like to paste more than just one page at the time.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

You didn't follow the path that the directions tell you to: Choose Edit > Preferences > Type (Windows):

preferences-mod.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SS.jpg

Since you have chosen the name TheNewbie1956 for the forum, I assume you are actually a newbie to InDesign, so please allow me to suggest that you pick up a copy of Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide for InDesign. I can help you with this issue, but it's pretty basic, and people on online forums are pretty quick to accuse newbies of not doing their homework.

A text frame has an in port and an out port. If you have overset text, the out port will have a red + in it. If you click on the out port with the Selection tool (black arrow), the cursor will change to look like part of a page, with an upper left corner. If you click on the page, the overset text will be placed into a new text frame that will be linked to the one with the out port you just clicked on. The text will fill the page from the vertical spot where you clicked to the bottom margin (provided there is enough text) and from the left to right margins. If, before you click, you move the cursor to the top left corner margins, the black wedge of the paragraph icon will change to a white wedge, indicating that the new text frame will take up the whole page (within the margins). If you hold the Shift key before you make that click into the top left margin, the cursor will contain a squiggly line with an arrow, indicating that if the end of the page is reached, and there is more overset text to place, new pages will be created, with new text frames to contain the text. This is similar to the way word processors work—similar, but not the same, in that pages do not disappear when text is contracted.

So, instead of cutting overset text from the story editor and pasting it into a separate text frame, you can have linked text frames if you like. And if you want to create a new text frames in advance, and then fill them with the overset text from a text frame you already have, just click the out port on the overset frame and into the middle of the empty frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TheNewbie1956,

Just to upgrade Michael, in your template go to Master pages that you use.

Create a blank frames. Drawing frames with the Text tool, in acord with your page layout. Take right down port of this frame and place in other page, if you are working with faccing pages.

So, next time you place a new story text inside the page, the pages will be create automactily for the whole story text.

Good luck!

Ass.: Wagner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need master text frames for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers. I am making great progress with InDesign but there are certain issues. I want to do my homework but I find it utterly frustruating that certain books, online references will say something and my software of course do/show a completely different thing...let me demonstrate with a following;

I read this in my book and online - "

Use Smart Text Reflow

You can use the Smart Text Reflow feature to add or remove pages when you’re typing or editing text. This feature is useful when you’re using InDesign as a text editor and you want a new page to be added whenever you type more text than can fit on the current page. It’s also useful in avoiding overset text or empty pages for situations in which the text flow changes due to editing text, showing or hiding conditional text, or making other changes to the text flow.

By default, Smart Text Reflow is limited to master text frames — text frames that are on a master page. If the document includes facing pages, master text frames must appear on both left and right master pages, and the master text frames must be threaded for Smart Text Reflow to work.

You can change settings to allow pages to be added or removed when working in text frames that aren’t based on master pages. However, a text frame must be threaded to at least one other text frame on a different page for Smart Text Reflow to work.

Smart Text Reflow settings appear in Type preferences. These settings apply to the current document. To change default settings for all new documents, close all documents and specify the settings.

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Type (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences > Type (Mac OS).
  2. Select Smart Text Reflow.
  3. Select any of the following options and then click OK.

Well guesss what! My preferences do not show this option at all

preferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because you're using an older version of InDesign. I think that was added in InDesign CS4 or 5. Can't remember which.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I got the latest CS5), just bought it [obviously...] I am still in the learning mode....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't follow the path that the directions tell you to: Choose Edit > Preferences > Type (Windows):

preferences-mod.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used Smart Text Reflow, so I can't help you with that. Maybe someone who has used it can help you. It would be helpful to know what version of InDesign you are using (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, etc.), and on what OS (XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.).

EDIT: Oops, looks like you were telling us what version of ID you have while I was typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I learned you also can't have any placeholder/dummy text in the Master Page text frame, or InDesign won't thread to new pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines