Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

8-bit settings won't save in preferences

Apr 5, 2012 7:30 AM

I installed the Lightroom 4.1 RC on both a 64-bit and 32-bit computer yesterday.  Sometimes I want to send an 8-bit image to Photoshop when working with my 32-bit computer.  I have tried changing that option in the Lightroom preferences, but those output choices will not save on either computer.  I know, I can change in Photoshop.  But it's just one of those little annoyances that I noticed.  Has anyone else seen this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to JimHess

There is a workaround I  just tried that seems to work. Under 'Additional External Editor' choose your PhotoShop.exe file location. It will tell you PhotoShop is already "automatically" selected, click twice on 'Use Anyway' and give it a unique name. It's pretty obvious the Adobe programmers don't want you doing this–to each his own. You will also need to download ACR 6.7RC1 and install the update:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

Preferences.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

Actually, there's an easier way to solve the problem than that.  Just convert to 8-bit in Photoshop.  I just ran across the issue yesterday and thought I would mention it.  Seems to me that in this new version of Lightroom wasn't quite as ready for prime time as it should have been.  I think I'm going to purchase it, but sometimes I wonder.

Actually this is probably one of the reasons the Adobe LR team has "locked down" (auto highlight recovery and black point adjustment) or automated (CA Removal) certain features in LR4. By doing so it makes it easier for LR beginners and other users who aren't "tech savvy" to get started, and helps prevent getting bad results by misusing certain tools. The External File Handling options lock down in LR4 Preferences is perhaps another example...I don't know.

If your intention is to continue to work on an image in LR after making edits in PS, then it's best to leave the file in ProPhoto RGB and 16bit mode. There are some who may argue on this point, but using a wide gamut color profile like ProPhoto RGB with 8bit/color is risking visible banding (i.e. wide gamut + fewer density steps). There's nothing stopping you from "converting" image files in LR to whatever format, color profile, compression and bit depth you want using the 'Export' tools.

Maybe I'm missing your objective with 8bit export to PS?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to JimHess

Thanks for the explanation Jim. What you are doing makes good sense and you can continue to do it the exact same way in LR4.1 RC using the 'Addtional External Editor' option workaround I suggested. You can add your concerns with this issue to Adobe using the feedback link c.frans w provided. The more responses the better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points