Skip navigation
MsHuckFinn3978
Currently Being Moderated

NEED HELP WITH PHOTO SIZE, PLEASE!

Apr 5, 2012 11:30 AM

Hello,

I am very new to Photoshop Elements, and need help with photo resizing, please.

I took around 100 senior pictures and have cropped and edited them. They are now complete. However, when I printed some through Walgreen's in a 4x6 size, some of the photos had the subject partially chopped off while other parts of the photo had white space where it did not fill the area completely. Do I need to go back to each photo and resize them. I do not know the size they will want for the final product. It could range from wallet size to 11 x 17 or larger. How can I ensure all of the photos will be proportionate when they print them off of Walgreens.com or a disk at their favorite store? I don't want to lose any more quality. I am going to upload them to their Walgreens accounts so I want to make sure they are correct before doing so.

Can someone please help me? I tried searching first and using help, but I am lost.

Thank you so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to MsHuckFinn3978

You do not state how you cropped and edited.

Did you use File>process multiple files selecting Image size in the dialog, with constrain proportions checked?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to MsHuckFinn3978

I took around 100 senior pictures and have cropped and edited them. They are now complete. However, when I printed some through Walgreen's in a 4x6 size, some of the photos had the subject partially chopped off while other parts of the photo had white space where it did not fill the area completely. Do I need to go back to each photo and resize them.

This problem is caused by your crop. It has nothing to do with resizing, which will not fix the problem.

I would go back and crop the original pictures. What you need to do is go back and crop each photo to a 4x6 aspect ratio. This guarantees that the problems that you describe will go away when you print at 4x6.

The aspect ratio must match the print size, otherwise the problems you describe will happen.

But if you are going to let people choose the print size (someone prints at 4x6, others at 5x7, others at 8x10), then you have two choices:

1. Let the recipients do their own cropping before printing, in which case you provide them with the uncropped photo (edited as you please, but uncropped)
    2. Provide the same photo cropped in multiple ways, each in its own file ... in other words, each photo has a 4x6 crop, and a 5x7 crop, and an 8x10 crop and so on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to MsHuckFinn3978

Sure, you can crop the existing photos, but of course that results in a crop (the new one) within a crop (the old one), and pixels are cropped away, gone forever. Fewer pixels will usually result in lower quality, but whether or not people can actually see the difference depends on a lot of things. Plus crop within a crop gives you less artistic freedom compared to cropping the original photo.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to dj_paige

If you still have the original files, you can furnish your clients with same. Either they, or you, can crop them to fit the desired paper stock size.

The point is that the cropping should occur prior to sending them to the printer, be that your own printer or a kiosk.

The file resolution should be in the 240-300 px/in range for optimal result.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to MsHuckFinn3978

There's no one correct order to do things.

Nor is taking photos as RAW the only way to go; many people take photos as JPG and wind up with some extremely good looking photos.

Whether your photos are JPG or RAW, you edit them to look as nice as you want them to look, and then save. Cropping is done for two reasons: one is artistic ... you don't want the light pole in the left edge of the photo, or the main subject of the photo is off center, or you feel that the photo just looks better cropped. There are lots of artistic reasons to crop. Usually, but not always, portraits don't require "artistic" cropping. Many wedding photographers will take photos deliberately with lots of area around the main subject so they can crop in different ways and not remove part of the subject. The second reason to crop is to match the photo to the desired output size, as explained above. If the desired output is 6x4, then the crop must have a 6x4 aspect ratio.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to MsHuckFinn3978

You're welcome.

My preference is to sharpen last.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status