Skip navigation
caveds66
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Sales Strategy Sucks

Apr 5, 2012 12:58 PM

I've bought Ligthroom3 at a "great discount" in the Adobe store just to find out that they sell the new version LR4 at an even lower price than that LR3 with the "great discount" five weeks later. This leaves me as a customer feeling screwed by Adobe, and LR3 will remain the first and the last Adobe product I'll ever purchase. They might have made a couple of bucks out of me, but when the time comes then I'll look for another product rather than paying for an Adobe upgrade.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to caveds66

You may very well find that with version 3 updated to 3.6, you hvae a far more stable and workable product than version 4. I have recently deleted version 4 and gone back to 3.6 as 4 is so bad. Try 3.6, I think you'll be massively pleased with your purchase.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to caveds66

If you call a sales rep they will (the assure us) give you a free upgrade to LR4 -- assuming you purchased LR3 not too long ago -- not strict time specified, but

I gather back into Dec at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to caveds66

That does not make sense given their stated rules -- unless you bought it on the black market -- possible, sometimes its hard to tell.

If adobe did not get anything for what you bought I can understand they don't want to give you a free upgrade.

If however you bought it ligitimately, their stated position is that they will give you a free upgrade.

See the adobe post

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/lightroom-4-hot-issues .html

its part way down - look for "upgrade"

Oh and by the way, the first answer to your post talked about how terrible LR4 is -- note that most users of LR4 have no problems.

Most users will agree that there are problems, but nobody knows what they are, and they only affect some people.  I, like many others

have been using LR4 now since the day it came out and have had no problems of any kind.  So you really have to try it -- if you don't

have the REALLY REALLY slow issues some report, then its a nice release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to caveds66

caveds66 wrote:

I've bought Ligthroom3 at a "great discount" in the Adobe store just to find out that they sell the new version LR4 at an even lower price than that LR3 with the "great discount" five weeks later.

So, your got a "great discount" on LR3 (much better price than the vast majority of LR3 buyers got) and then LR4 came out and the price of an upgrade to LR4 is now even cheaper than LR2>L3

And with your date of purchase coming AFTER the LR4 beta was released on Jan 10th, you are somehow surprised by this turn of events? If you had made your purchase within 30 days of LR4 being released, you would be entitled to a free upgrade to LR4 (pretty sure that is the policy).

Truth be told, this situation you find yourself in seems more like a case of poor timing on your part. So, you can either upgrade to LR4 for $79.00 (which is $20 cheaper than LR2>LR3 upgrades cost) or you can keep using LR3 for as long as you have a computer it will run on. Hardly sounds like a tragedy to me...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to caveds66

caveds66,

I'll take a look at you case. I should be able to assist you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Thanks Jeffrey.

Caveds66, selling down before a new product is released is a common practise for all products and markets. It is how you respond that you are responsible for and in my experience slagging rarely works. My strategy is to make considered and polite requests in the ears of those who have influence, a user to user forum is not usually the place for that. I'm sure Adobe will see you right.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

So... the way to get a discount out of Adobe is the throw a public tantrum?  I'm sure that caveds is not the only one who saw LR3 discounted after the beta came out and discovered that getting to LR4 (at the new lower price) would cost about the same as buying it outright.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Apr 6, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to caveds66

I bought at the Dutch Adobe Store (I am a Dutchman, living in Portugal) on January 27th LR3.6 with 50% discount. I paid eur 153,14 for the downloaded version.

The actual version 4 has been prized at eur 129,71 and this is no upgrade but the the full version.

Of course I went to the Adobe Free Update (casenumber 0207897920) but they say that only after purchasing LR after March 5th you will be entitled to a free upgrade.

I am feeling me fooled by Adobe becayse the should know in January what the price of the versions will be.

So agree with caveds66 for complaining.

Thanks for reading this and I apologize for my bad English so far.

Greetings from Portugal,

AllieB

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to AllieBPort

AllieB, that doesn't seem correct. I suggest you phone Adobe Support in the Netherlands.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Thanks for your reply Geoff but the official reaction of Adobe Netherlands gives one no space for doubt. They are saying that March 5th will be the keydate and otherwise one is not eligible for a free update according their policy.

Next week I am in the Netherlands and I will try a phonecall as you suggested. Their phonenumbers cannot be called from ouside the country as they are special numbers.

The point is, in my opinion, not that I miss the free upgrade (I understand Adobe has to take a date) but the prizing. As within a couple of weeks the prize falls from originally eur 306 to eur 199,71 both for the full version, I feel foolished as the offer a promotopm with 50% off and one has still to pay eur 153,71 in stead as let me say eur 129,71 as the LR4 full prize.

I have to admit that this really sucks, indeed!

Thanks for reading this and greetings from Portugal,

AllieB

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to AllieBPort

Thanks for the update AllieB, let us know how you get on please.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to caveds66

I understand that its upsetting to pay for something then find it later at a lower price, new version or not --- but how does this differ from buying something

at wal-mart for $100 then finding it on sale a month later for $60.

If its REALLY close in dates, you might get a refund, but in most cases not.

I don't see that one can call it "nasty sales stragegy", its just standard sales -- suppliers have the right to change prices

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to caveds66

I agree whole heartedly with Caveds. We are not talking about Walmart who is a discount retailer  and anyone who buys from Walmart does so with the knowledge that any product on their shelf can be discounted the following week. The purchaser has no come back in this case.

When you purchase direct from the manufacturer who knows full well that they have a new product coming on the market in a short period of time and they sell off old stock at a discounted rate, and without offering a cheap upgrade in the near future. That stinks.  Once the first major upgrade has been produced, it doesn't cost a fortune to churn out subsequent DVD copies, even less when you down load an upgrade off the net.

Having said that it also stinks when a new product is offered on line that still has a lot of problems associated with it.  LR4 is slow, LR4.1rc is quicker but there are still a few faults in there. Adobe have been in the market for a long time, and I have been using Adobe products for around 20 years, over the years they have bought out most of their opposition, Indesign was Adobe Pagermaker and before that it was Aldus Pagemaker. Adobe should have enough knowledge by now to be able to put new products out that are bug free.

What Caveds is saying is the thin end of the wedge, there is an old maxim that the customer is always right, the cost of a replacement upgrade for a person who feels that he has been hard done by is nothing compared with the bad publicity that person can generate on a forum such as this. Come on Adobe get your act together.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)