• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting Table Columns Individually?

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear I already know the answer to this question, and since I was unable to find a current definite answer I figured I'd ask...

I was forced to use Word 2011 today, and the document had a table. I noticed I could adjust columns individually(it's not pretty, but it works). Is it true that Word can do something Indesign can't? Say it ain't so!

Can you adjust table columns individually without affecting the whole table? I know you can hold shift, while adjusting but that sill affects the entire column. I usually merge, split, split, merge, ect... rinse, repeat.

I'm on a Mac running CS5. Has this been addressed in 5.5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You can try this,

Choose the Text tool and double click inside a cell, the insertion point will come within the cell,

Now go to Tables>split cell vertically , this will split the cell and then you can move the centre line alone using "Shift key" ,

merge the cells which is not required.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help for CS5/5.5 says no:

"Note:  You cannot create unequal column widths for columns in a text frame. Instead, created threaded, side-by-side text frames with different column widths."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I misread what you posted. Columns in a table can and often do have different widths and be easily resized. If you hold down the shift key while clicking on the edge of a column, you can move that without moving the rest of the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I actually meant resizing cells individually. Holding shift will move the whole column of cells at the same time.

The 'me' column is split in half. But when the column divider is shifted it moves everything else above and below. I'm pretty sure it can't be done, but I guess I was just being hopeful.

Screen shot 2012-04-05 at 4.27.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only by adding another column and merging cells in odd ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this,

Choose the Text tool and double click inside a cell, the insertion point will come within the cell,

Now go to Tables>split cell vertically , this will split the cell and then you can move the centre line alone using "Shift key" ,

merge the cells which is not required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH, much better. Can you tell I don't use tables if I can avoid them?

I think that sthe split cell commands actually are adding columns or rows and merging cells othe than the one you split, but it's a heck of a lot easier to have it automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TRUE,,,,but I beleive thats what we got , I will post the feature request to Adobe to add more functionality and manuvering to the tables.

however in Indesign I believe everything can be achieved by hook or crook , thats why I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true. I'd have to think long and hard about complaints I have with Indesign. Especially compared to Illy and Flash, the latter of which I could probably complain about all day. The table cell sizing is tolerable, and using another program is, in my opinion, not worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's more or less what I've been doing. It's the best workaround I've found yet, but it gets pretty crazy on larger tables with lots of split columns. I have a bunch of applications I have to create soon, so I was just hoping... Anway, thanks for the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need features that can only be acieved by using tables, like cell strokes and fills? If not, tabbed text is a LOT more flexible and user friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... hmm. Now that you mention it maybe I don't need to use tables. I'll have to see how that flies with the boss though. I usually only go the table route when I need to cram a lot of information on a single sheet of paper. It just seems to look neater in the end. 

Michael Murphys 'form lines aside' technique using tabs and underlines is what I typically use when I'm making other forms and signature lines. It's pretty fantastic.

Of course I'm always open to other suggestions and techniques if you're referring to a different method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a big fan of tabs and underlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gridify is the indesign obsure feature , which is very useful to multiple text box and give the effect like table when the gutter value is low , and as they are the text box its easy to mange them.

http://indesignsecrets.com/cs5s-gridified-tools-adds-a-wrinkle-to-drawing-starbursts-and-polygons.ph...

http://indesignsecrets.com/forum/general-indesign-topics/gridify-gap

will be helpful for a start however ther video as well online

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines