Skip navigation
Sando234
Currently Being Moderated

Backed up with elements 5 but wont restore on elements 6

Apr 4, 2012 5:45 AM

Hi. Have had to replace my hard drive and lost all my Elements 5 photos, program, etc but had backed up to an external drive. Unfortunately I've lost my elements 5 disc and have installed my brothers element 6 software. Cann't find a restore option on that so dragged and dropped the backup file onto the blank cataloue page. All the photos came across but hardly any tags and no collections or captions have come across. Have I done something wrong or have I lost this information? Could I try and find another elements 5 disc? Please excuse my ignorance of the technicalities!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Sando234

In PSE6, File->Restore Catalog, and point it to the backup created by PSE5 (wherever it is)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Sando234

How did you do the backup?  Did you use PSE5's backup function, or did you back up with an external program?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Sando234

Yes try and find another PSE5 disk or a download if you registered your product with Adobe, although server availability is normally time limited. Your brothers software license does not extend to your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Sando234

Instead of opening the backup with PSE6, in PSE6 use File...Restore Catalog and point it to your backup.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Sando234

On the main menu bar.  I'm using PSE10, but PSE6 should have something similar -- look through all the options for something like "Restore from backup".

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Sando234

You're welcome, Sandy.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)