Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adjusting Table Columns Individually?

Apr 5, 2012 12:55 PM

I fear I already know the answer to this question, and since I was unable to find a current definite answer I figured I'd ask...

I was forced to use Word 2011 today, and the document had a table. I noticed I could adjust columns individually(it's not pretty, but it works). Is it true that Word can do something Indesign can't? Say it ain't so!

Can you adjust table columns individually without affecting the whole table? I know you can hold shift, while adjusting but that sill affects the entire column. I usually merge, split, split, merge, ect... rinse, repeat.

I'm on a Mac running CS5. Has this been addressed in 5.5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Help for CS5/5.5 says no:

"Note:  You cannot create unequal column widths for columns in a text frame. Instead, created threaded, side-by-side text frames with different column widths."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Mary Posner

Sorry, I misread what you posted. Columns in a table can and often do have different widths and be easily resized. If you hold down the shift key while clicking on the edge of a column, you can move that without moving the rest of the table.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Only by adding another column and merging cells in odd ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

You can try this,

Choose the Text tool and double click inside a cell, the insertion point will come within the cell,

Now go to Tables>split cell vertically , this will split the cell and then you can move the centre line alone using "Shift key" ,

merge the cells which is not required.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

OH, much better. Can you tell I don't use tables if I can avoid them?

I think that sthe split cell commands actually are adding columns or rows and merging cells othe than the one you split, but it's a heck of a lot easier to have it automated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

TRUE,,,,but I beleive thats what we got , I will post the feature request to Adobe to add more functionality and manuvering to the tables.

however in Indesign I believe everything can be achieved by hook or crook , thats why I like it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Do you need features that can only be acieved by using tables, like cell strokes and fills? If not, tabbed text is a LOT more flexible and user friendly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

I'm a big fan of tabs and underlines.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Dougefresh091

Gridify is the indesign obsure feature , which is very useful to multiple text box and give the effect like table when the gutter value is low , and as they are the text box its easy to mange them.

http://indesignsecrets.com/cs5s-gridified-tools-adds-a-wrinkle-to-draw ing-starbursts-and-polygons.php

http://indesignsecrets.com/forum/general-indesign-topics/gridify-gap

will be helpful for a start however ther video as well online

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points