Skip navigation
insrid
Currently Being Moderated

Active State on Text Hyperlinks doesn't work

Apr 5, 2012 1:21 PM

Tags: #text_hyperlink #active_state

My menu is comprised of text hyperlinks, and each hyperlink is set to be a highlight colour when the page it links to is active to help with site wayfinding.  From the very start the active state has not worked.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Initially I had a problem with rollover states as well and I "fixed" it by tinkering with the hyperlink settings, but it didn't help with active state.

I most recently tried creating a new site to see whether Beta 6 had fixed the problem, with no luck.  At this point in time, the site is over 100 pages, with somewhere around 16 Master pages, and is very difficult to navigate with a non-functional active state.  I would appreciate if someone had a solution or workaround for this that doesn't involve replacing all my hand-built menus with menu widgets (the look we're going for is very simple and is easier to achieve with text hyperlinks than a menu widget).  It would also be impossible to eliminate the Master pages and have a unique menu for every single page as this becomes extremely difficult and time-consuming to edit and make additions as the site grows.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to insrid

Have you tried applying the hyperlink to the text frame, and setting the active state on text frame?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to insrid

Are you using the states palette to set what the active state looks like, or are you using hyperlink styles to set the active/visited/etc. look for text links?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to insrid

Browsers show the text hyperlink 'active' state when you click on a link(i.e. while the mouse button is down). Sounds like you want something different - you want the menu item which has a hyperlink to the current page to draw in a different state. You can accomplish this in Muse using the States palette. You can set the hyperlink on the text frame, and then specify a different text color for the different states of the text frame. Muse will render your text frame in the 'active' state if it has a hyperlink to the current page. It's a bit confusing that there's an 'active' for text hyperlinks and an active state for page items...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to insrid

Same problem here. Bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to insrid

Hi there, I'm having similar issues with this. I've managed to get it working, kind of. Heres my working example. http://www.thewebsitedeveloper.co.nz/thinkRedTest/flooringVision/index .html#top

The scroll buttons on the right drive the page to sections on the page using the anchor links (this all works fine), BUT ONLY the top two scroll buttons are being modified by the active States styling for the active state. They's all been given exactly the same States attributes, yet only the top two are showing white for when active.

Any ideas Muse folk?

Grant

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to Grant Senior

Ok, problem solved. It appears that this is a Firefox issue as it works perfectly in all the other browsers, even IE7. That's a first for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points