Skip navigation
katielady1
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Apr 5, 2012 12:04 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5 #indesign_cs_5

Hi there,

I'm running InDesign CS5 on Windows 7.

Last month, I had one file that became corrupt. And by that I mean when I went to open the file I immediately got the "InDesign CS5 has stopped working message." The file never appeared to open. I had the option to either have it look for solution online (at which point it just closed the program) or close the program.

If I try and launch InDesign again it gives me the "inDesign CS5 has stopped working" message again.

If I try and launch it after that, it will tell me that the recovery failed last time I tried to open the document and would I like to start recovery.

If I choose yes, I get the "InDesign CS5 has stopped working" message again.

The file will not open as a copy either. The file was toast. I also tried opening the files on a co-worker's computer and that didn't work.

Then, this week I had the same thing happen to TWO more files. Same problem. The files appear to be toast.

Last night I backed up all my data again so when my current file had that problem I tried to open my back up file. Same problem!

I'm freaking out because I'm scared to work on any of my files for fear they will become corrupted.

I don't know what it doesn't like about the files. Two of the files were 8 page newsletters, and one was a 27 page file.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to katielady1

These are the tough ones to diagnose. Do you have any 3rd party plugins (including a font manager)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to katielady1

Here's the bad news. There's no way to tell without opening files whether the blurb plugin was the problem. I'm going to suggest that you make a backup of everything, and that until you know things are straightened out you open everything as a copy, and save with a new name each time to reduce the risk of incurring more damage.

In the meantime, empty, rename or move your InDesign Recovery folder so ID isn't trying to open a damaged file from there so we can eliminate that from the mix. It will get rebuilt when you restart ID.

Keep us posted...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to katielady1

katielady1 wrote:

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how to remove the Blurb Plug In. If I go to InDesign, Help, About Plug Ins - I can see the Blurb Plug in. But if I go to Manage Extensions - I only have ones authored by Adobe. The blurb one doesn't show up.

Take a look in the plugins folder and just move it out if you can find it. You might be able to get it to show up in a search if it isn't obvious just looking  in folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to katielady1

Third party plugin issues are not new with Indesign , as you said you never use the plugin hence its better to get rid of it.

Check in the Indesign plugins folder , you will find this plugin and then you can remove it from there.

What  Peter wrote are some excellent tip, Follow them to save your data ,

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to katielady1

Also let us inform if the problem repeats , Blurb plugin could be issue but not sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to katielady1

Sure, its the font cache file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to katielady1

katielady1 wrote:

I'm not worried about recovering my old files right now, but more concerned about future files getting corrupted so this is a good suggestion.

Thjose are my concerns, as well. That's why I made the backup suggestions. If you keep saving as a new version, you should have built-in backups so you don't lose everything if something goes wrong.

If you get to the point where you want to recover the damaged files, the best bet is probably Markzware, though it isn't necessarily inexpensive. Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to katielady1

katielady1 wrote:

So I'm thinking I should remove and reinstall InDesign. I'm also wondering if I should restore my machine to system fonts only and then add the fonts back as needed.

Those both sound like good ideas, though corrupt fonts are pretty rare on Windows (though they do happen).

After uninstalling, you might also want to run the clean tool, which will remove all traces (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) Normally I'd suggest backing up your prefs, workspaces, shortcuts, etc., but since you are having such wierd problems I think it would be saver to start completely clean and rebuild whatever you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to katielady1

Probably doesn't matter, but go ahead and deactivate just for safety.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to katielady1

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to katielady1

I am not a Mac person, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm a little concerned about the "reimaged" part becasue I'm not sure if that means you resored an earlier image of the system (a big timesaver if the image is good, but no help if wahtever the problem is was already present when the image was made), or if you reformatted the hard drive, and installed the OS and all programs from scratch, which in this case would probably be the best route, and install nothing but OS and Adobe products until you see that they work, then add things and test with an unimportant file until you find what is causing the corruption.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points