Skip navigation
Jaitsujin82
Currently Being Moderated

Pull windows user name?

Apr 4, 2012 6:50 PM

Tags: #variables #5 #capticate

Good Morning all,

I am working on training videos for my company of about 800 employees.

Everyone has an individual user account. And every employee is required to take certain classes.

Is it possible to pull login information and reflect it on, lets say a certificate at the end of a training or store it for later use?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Jaitsujin82

If you want to collect the info from the users themselves, you can create a user-defined variable a la http://iconlogic.blogs.com/weblog/2009/04/adobe-captivate-4-userdefine d-variables.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to Jaitsujin82

My understanding is there's no way to do that with captivate off the shelf.

I looked through the widget providers I know of and didn't see anything that does what you describe.  Doesn't mean there's nothing out there, I just didn't find it.

My thought is most people would use an LMS tied to your network authentication for what you're describing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to AndyKingInOC

I agree.  There's usually a session variable floating around in the browser that knows the authorised user's ID, but capturing that variable value (which might be something like: servername/bloggsf) and then pulling it into Captivate, would require some extra programming nouse that most Captivate authors would not have.  There's no way to do it out of the box with standard Captivate functionality.

If you want to go down this path, do some Googling on the term: auth_user

There's a post here discussing it briefly: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3233261

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points