Skip navigation
Steve2021
Currently Being Moderated

5.5 Book Chapters Say "Document Modified"

Apr 2, 2012 10:21 AM

I wonder if anybody has seen this before.

I'm working on a book -- it began in CS4, but I am doing a rewrite and update in 5.5. Lots of illustrations, cross-references, index items, etc. 20+ chapter files.

When I'm working on a big chapter in 5.5, and I close the chapter file, the book palette immediately  shows the little error bug, indicating "Document Modified Outside of Book." Of course, this isn't true -- I haven't left ID and I just closed the file.

This never happened in v4. And it only seems to happen with big files that contain a lot of material.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Many thanks,

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Steve2021

Book is a collection of the document , when you open the document from the Books panel then the books get updated along with the document.

)

But if you open up the document indiviually (not from the books panel) and then make changes to it and then save the document , book panel will prompt the error message becuase the book hasn't been updated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Steve2021

Is this the first time that thes chapters have been edited in CS5.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Steve2021

You say the Book panel is open. Is it also expanded? There's a long-standing bug whereby these icons appear if you close a chapter while the Book panel is collapsed to an icon, even if it's open. I've been seeing this since at least CS3. As a result, I just ignore these warnings, so I can't be sure that it never happens with the panel expanded.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Nigel Chapman

Thanks, Nigel, but that's not it either. The panel is always open and expanded when I close a chapter file. It always shows the bug otherwise. But in this case, it's showing the bug either way. Not every chapter. Only the big ones.

And, in response to Peter, on reflection, all the chapters were edited in 5.5 prior to the problem.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to SteveC100

I've got no more brilliant ideas...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to SteveC100

It will also show this icon when pages are added or removed. Have you repaginated the pages in the Book Panel by updating the Page Numbers?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene --

That's an interesting clue. Indeed, I have added pages to some chapters, and haven't yet repaginated. Would that do it?

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to SteveC100

I haven't repaginated, but I did just now work on a chapter and checked the "add pages" theory. Prior to adding pages -- when I close the file, I get no error icon. As soon as I added two pages, and closed the file, the icon appeared. Seems like that's the answer.

Thanks to everybody for weighing and helping.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to SteveC100

Thanks to all who contrubuted here! It just helped me with a problem I was having with a fairly large doc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points