Skip navigation
aaronavtr
Currently Being Moderated

Color changes when saving from PSD to JPEG...

Apr 5, 2012 7:36 PM

Hey all,

I've run into a problem that I'm sure has been a popular one for many. I recently edited a photo of mine in Photoshop CS5 and when I save it to JPEG format and open it, the color is completely different. I've searched the web and have tried some of the solutions that have seemed to have helped others but for me it hasn't worked such as using sRGB and changing the working spaces to adobe RGB (1998). Both of which hasn't worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

No answer but a few questions.  What color space was the image edited in? When you saved it as a Jpeg file did you save it with an embedded color profile? When you opened the jpeg images did you open it with a color manages program like Photoshop or a non color image viewer or non color managed web browser?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:54 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

You're not doing it right and how are you viewing the end result?

You have to save with a profile under most circumstances.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:05 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Do you have a calibrated monitor? That's almost always not the case when newbies fool around with image processing apps.  You need to be viewing your jpg in a color managed app also, such as a color managed browser or Preview on a Mac, Irfanview on a PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

What are your Edit > Color Settings (screenshot please)?

If you embedded the profile with the jpg and Photoshop is set to Preserve Embedded Profiles the jps should look pretty much identical to the psd in Photoshop at View > Actual Pixels (save for the jpg-damage).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

Couls you please post a screenshot of psd and jpg open side by side in Photoshop?

And could you please set them to display their Profiles?

documentProfile.jpg

Because quite frankly I’m having a hard time believing the described behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

It seems you had not mentioned that the offending beaviour occurs in another application and not in Photoshop.

I’m a Mac-user so I don’t know if Microsoft Office Picture Viewer is color managed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to aaronavtr

time to get a mac i guess

That’s not my point at all – Mac OS has issues and I don’t consider it superior to Windows.

I just don’t know Microsoft Office Picture Viewer, so I don’t know how to trouble-shoot it – and the issue seems to be with that application if the image has an embedded profile and it is disregarded.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to aaronavtr

aaronavtr wrote:

I can atleast deduce the fact that the issue lies within the viewer.

Photoshop is a color-managed viewer — its reads a source profile (or applies its working profile) and Converts it to the monitor profile for a theoretical true-color display.

Your Microsoft Picture Viewer program — if it is not matching Photoshop — is more than likely not a color-managed viewer (or the document does not contain an embedded ICC profile) — Microsoft Picture Viewer is more than likely merely sending the source RGB straight through to the monitor unchanged.

This would be very easy to prove in Photoshop by opening the image in Photoshop so it appears correctly, then: View> Proof Setup: Monitor RGB

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to aaronavtr

First,  open the image in the program that you call "Microsoft Picture Viewer program" and read carefully the name of the program. The name of the Microsoft programs is usually on the top left corner of the title bar and may be proceeded with the name of the currently open file. If you can't find it look Help > About menu of that program.

On Windows 7 the default image viewer is called "Windows Photo Viewer" and is fully color managed - it will display images with any profile with identical colors as Photoshop.

If the program that you are using to view the image is not color managed it cannot display identical colors with the color managed programs like Photoshop unless the image is in the color space of your monitor (not affected by color management)

Second, any changes in the color settings in Photoshop will not have any effect on the currently open images with color profiles. So, before starting anything to do with color management of an image the first step is to check what is the current color space of the document. In post #10 c.pfaffenbichler told you how to check that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points