Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unable to stop images from auto toning in lightroom 4

Apr 4, 2012 5:06 PM

I have a problem and i've searched and done what it says but it still plagues me.

I import images a lil different.

I open lightroom and till ot synchronize on my folder "2012", which it says it finds 200 images

this part goes fine but when i click on thumbnail it darkens the image too much.

so i go to edit, preferences, presets and I make sure everything is unchecked.

so with nothing checkmarked.

i go back to my images and it still auto tones.

it does this for each image, ruining them.

i like them jsut the way they are when first imported.

i'm frustrated.

is there a way to download a preset for my camera model and make?

I'd like to download an official preset for my nikon d800 and nikon d7000. so when it does import images it properly tones it if i can not prevent this toning from happening.

i've tried making my own custom user develop preset but i'm frustrated as i could not really make my images be good as it misses up some images and others are ok.

can anyone point me int he right direction please?

i have verified over and over my settings in edit? preferences but it still wants to auto tone my images and i constantly end up having to reset develop settings for all my images.

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still auto tones my pictures no matter what.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to ninjapimp

ninjapimp wrote:

... i constantly end up having to reset develop settings for all my images.

Does that do anything?  If so, what?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to ninjapimp

Well, I don't see how that's possible.  Are the slider positions changing between reset-click-reset?  Which ones are changing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to ninjapimp

Try this:

In Preferences under the Presets tab there is an option to "apply auto tone adjustments" - deselect this

Then you should have the 'Auto' button available in Basic develop tab to use manually without having the autotone adjustments being applied to all photos.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to bhousto90

What I have found is that only images imported after I turned off "apply auto tone adjustments" did not have auto adjustments in the develop module. All images imported prior to turning off "auto tone" still have the adjustments (which is what I would expect). But when clicking Reset for those older images no "auto tone" adjustments were applied (which again is what I would expect).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to Rusty Sterling

I checked and the Auto Tone was not checked. Why has it been doing that in both Lightroom 3 and 4? I don't understand why I would want Lightroom to automatically make adjustments to the brightness, contrast, etc. before i even start editing. Maybe it's something other than Auto Tone doing this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to christianbobak

Auto Toning in LR4 means that LR computes settings that are non-default values for the Toning sliders at the top of the Develop panel.  Is this what is happening, or is it more that you are using a Nikon camera with D-Lighting turned on, and you’re seeing the momentary view of the Camera-embedded thumbnails changing into the LR-default values for toning, which happen to be darker than the Nikon D-Lighting values?  This would not be LR doing Auto Toning as much as that there are differences between the in-camera processing of the embedded JPG preview compared with the Adobe-default processing.

Perhaps take a screenshot of the top of the Develop panel for one of the images that has the Auto Toning applied and show everyone what the slider values are.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 6:15 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I thought the Lightroom processing was the Auto Toning. Are these two separate things? I have Active D-Lighting enabled, but it was my understanding that it only works in Shutter and Aperture modes anyway, which I never use. I would really like to stop Lightroom from doing that automatic processing, whatever it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to christianbobak

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to c.frans w

If you want your photos to look the same after importing in Lightroom as they did on camera back or would in NX2, then use ExifMeta & CollectionPreseter:

ExifMeta will allow you to define collections based on active-d-lighting and picture style, then you can apply a preset with exposure compensation and matching camera profile using CollectionPreseter.

Links:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/ExifMetaLrPlugin

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/MiscLrPlugins#Collectio nPreseter

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points