Skip navigation

nVidia GTX 680 now at Newegg

Mar 21, 2012 7:07 PM

Latest reply: Harm Millaard, Apr 7, 2012 12:34 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Fabio Pis

My latest test:

Clean OS, no antivirus, no codec.Only the base Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 with all patches.

Creative suite with all available patch

Premiere pro 5.5.2

with MPE:

"54","57","42","4"

without:

"54","57","42","64"

I was thinking to instal some codec like ffdshow o other relative to h264 o mpeg2 it could gain in performance.

If you have some advice I could try in this weekend..then, I have to stop experiment!

---------------------------

Fabio Pis wrote:

My system:

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Adobe Creative suite 5.5 with latest update

Boot disk intel SSD 160 Gb sata II

I7 980X @ 4119MHz

Gygabyte GA-X58 UDR3

24 Gb Kingston 1600 (9 9 9 27 36)@ 1420 (8 8 8 27 36)

Raid 0 (2 Velociraptor 600x2)

GTX 580

Latest Drivers available

My PPBM5 result with MPE:

"66","51","43","5"

With GTX 680

"63","59","41","5"

I am happy, if I consider that there is only a first drivers release for GTX 680.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to Fabio Pis

Installing other codecs with Premiere installed is asking for problems. 

Fabio Pis wrote:

My latest test:

Clean OS, no antivirus, no codec.Only the base Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 with all patches.

Creative suite with all available patch

Premiere pro 5.5.2

with MPE:

"54","57","42","4"

without:

"54","57","42","64"

Those are extremely good results for an i7-980s at 4.1 GHz with 24 GB of RAM.  I do not know if you have searched on PPBM5 and sorted on CS5.5 in the "Versions" tab and then sorted on I7-9xx  in the "Model CPU" tab, but that ties you for first place.in that category with a total of 157 seconds

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Yes, I saw! I submitted my result yesterday (thank for your effort , Bill & Harm)

I did some overclock changes (no more fsb overclock, but only multiply factor and core voltage (1.31) with the base 1600 clock for ddr3

Now, after the setup for 3dvision and physiX:

"57","57","42","4"

H264 test is worst than GTX 580.

I saw with gpuZ that gpu load is with mpeg2 dvd constant a 93%, with h264 gpu load it never does not exceed the 63%,and, it is not constant

I ask myself if it exists an  h264 alternative codec more optimized.. I have to search.

edit:

After AVG antivirus install:

"64","57","41","5"

so with 3dvision/physiX/AVG I lose nearly 20% in mpeg2 dvd and MPE on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Fabio Pis

Fabio Pis wrote:

H264 test is worst than GTX 580.

I saw with gpuZ that gpu load is with mpeg2 dvd constant a 93%, with h264 gpu load it never does not exceed the 63%,and, it is not constant

I ask myself if it exists an  h264 alternative codec more optimized.. I have to search.

edit:

"64","57","41","5"

Fabio,  Thank you for the complement, but you are reading to much into our benchmark, you have to be aware of the limitations of any benchmark.  If you look at what the H.264 test is doing you will see that it is mostly using 1920 x 1080 material and encoding to 1920 x 1080 so there is no scaling for the GPU to do.  On the other hand the MPEG2-DVD encoding uses the same material and of course scales it to DVD 720 x 480 NTSC.  That more than likely, is the major difference that causes the MPEG2-DVD to use much more GPU.  Do not get another codec it is only likely to cause many more problems than it worth.  This benchmark was designed to evaluate your hardware/software so if you are getting bad results we can try to analyze your system so we can make suggestions if you do not have good results.  Since your results are at the top of the list you should just be happy and do not mess it up.

I am not sure you understand what the numbers mean on your AVG comment.  The numbers are 64 is a disk intensive score and is listed as Disk I/O, the next number is 57 and this did not change and it is the MPEG2-DVD encoding time, the third number of 41 is the H.264 encoding number and the lasr number of 5 or 4 is the time it takes to obtain the Preview files.  Since the limitations of the available Windows timer is 1 second you have to be aware that any answer is going to vary +/-1 second.  Now you can see why we always suggest turning off all unnecessary processes when editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to David Zeno

David Zeno wrote:

Premiere can use the previews to speed up final export to a video file on your hard drive,

David, yes you can use previews and while it may speed things up, it is generally recommended that you do not use them for creating final output because it will not be as good a quality as if you did not use them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Bill Gehrke wrote:

"64","57","41","5"

I am not sure you understand what the numbers mean on your AVG comment.  The numbers are 64 is a disk intensive score and is listed as Disk I/O, the next number is 57 and this did not change and it is the MPEG2-DVD encoding time, the third number of 41 is the H.264 encoding number and the lasr number of 5 or 4 is the time it takes to obtain the Preview files.  Since the limitations of the available Windows timer is 1 second you have to be aware that any answer is going to vary +/-1 second.  Now you can see why we always suggest turning off all unnecessary processes when editing.

Yes, I misunderstood the right association operation/result.

Now I understand (I hope so! )

Before I had linked the first value (ie 64) with Mpeg dvd, the second one with H264 blue ray and third one with disk test.

For sure I use your test to analize my system, and for this it is very useful in my opinion in some case to test speed and stability and could help to optimize some aspect.

Now, I am very happy that my results "are at the top of the list!

Now I have to rebuild my optimal job setup and I have more experience

Thank you again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Wow, a GTX 680 available at Newegg again!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162095

Enjoy it and please report your results back here if you snag one.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to JEShort01

They sure do not last long I just checked the link to see for myself (of course I already snagged mine direct from EVGA) and it is showing "Out of Stock"

I just took a look at the time difference between your post and mine 1 hour 12 minutes!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Jeez, I'm lucky I still have some time to wait at least for the 4 GB version or maybe even the 685/690 to appear with a larger memory bus.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

well so far testing the 680 shows no big deal. certainly not the 3x cores excitement we thought..

at least not with avchd trying red shortly..

will post #s later..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, EVGA has an interesting 90 day Step-up program.  If they introduce a upgraded product within 90 days you can trade up for just the difference in list prices.

Sure wish I had a PCIe 3.0 MB, and of course you need a 22nm CPU like the i7-3770K which may see the light of day this month.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

when are they likely to release the 4GB version? I'll wait for that version if the extra Gigabytes somehow make it better for After Effects and/or openGL.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to El_Plates

It may be some time yet, because TSMC has serious difficulties with the yields of 28 nm chips for both the AMD HD 79xx and the Kepler range. The 300 mm wafer production is also insufficient to meet current demands and the change-over to 28 nm chips will take several months.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I searched "TSMC" and it looks like you're right. It's going to be a long wait. This inadequate computer I'm using now must suffice till almost chistmas. There's no point in me upgrading until there's tech available that can give a significant performance gain, at a reasonable price.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to El_Plates

You know, most of the time I don't make these stories up.

Here is the article about it: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120405PD218.html

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points