Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Karel Martens glyphs font ;-)

Apr 3, 2012 3:54 PM

Tags: #font #color #art

Here is a small teaser image -- I would gladly upload the font itself but somehow I cannot log on to my site ...

Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 12.46.14 AM.png

This is done with a font I created, based on the glyphic images by renowned Dutch graphic designer Karel Martens -- and I can think of lots of nice things to do with this! It should be possible, for example, to write a script that samples CMYK colors from an image in Illustrator, and draws four glyphs on top of each other, in each of these colors. This should not be too hard to do; the glyphs are under space and A..Z, in a somewhat later-is-darker order. Instant graphic art!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Awesome, I love this. And I have just seen the kind of graphic for it: http://angedockt.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/orchester-3-0-cover.jpg?w =702

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I love your stuff!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

now...do you see what we have to go thru? Illustrator is the CS adopted child, and illustrator scripting is...let's see...how can we describe it...the abandoned child?

great stuff as usual...can you share the script also?

and, can you place your glyphs in a ScriptUI dialog?

thanks Friendly Neighborhood

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I assume that this is an attempt to reveal the man behind the mask? The evil genius with all the fun stuff. And I have to agree with Carlos, AI scripting is really lame.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Great work!

kudos for sharing it

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Hi Jong, there's no hurry....I'll wait like everyone else, I just wanted to have a peek at your script, never done anything with rasters.

I'm sure a good Illustrator scripter can work around these issues --

it's wise not to say how good one is, let others judge that...and yes you're good enough, more than good.

I tried once to place regular Webdings in a Dialog and it didn't let me....but I was giving it a Unicode string...it didn't occur to me to use a regular character and change to font to Webdings...I'll give it another try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

...I give up, I can't add regular "Webdings" to a ScriptUI statictext

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Jong, I did some thing similar to this way back ( CS1/CS2 ) using AppleScript… I read the image data straight out of Photoshop stuffed it in a large list ( array ) I could utilize that with AI or ID… I've never rewritten it in ESTK as there where a couple of similar scripts about… Jet has one along these lines too… For sure its dooable with ID but like you say you may need to get the data elsewhere ( I've not looked at whats available in ID terms for this ).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Jongware, that's right, I tried different fonts too and some work, some don't. I didn't know about the postScript name. I checked PS and it has a TextFont.postScriptName, ID also has a font.postScriptName property. And as you already guessed....Illustrator does not have such property.

so for the Webdings font (the one I was originally interested in) I went to PS, retrieved the postScriptname and Style, used that in Illustrator and....same results...did not work.

this works perfectly in PS, but not in illustrator, and surprisingly it does not work in ID either.

var w = new Window("dialog");
    var s = w.add("statictext", undefined, "0123");
    s.graphics.font = ScriptUI.newFont ("Webdings", "regular" , 12)

w.show();

oh, and sorry for hijacking your thread.

Message was edited by: CarlosCanto

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)