• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alignment Grids for Titler in PrE & PrPro

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been several discussions on the lack of real alignment tools in Titler, for both PrE and PrPro. I use a workaround to this, and just Import a "grid" image, created in PS and Saved to .PSD with Transparency. I use the same technique to build layouts for PiP and similar.

One just Imports the .PSD into their NLE (Non Linear Editing) program, as a still, or as Footage in PrPro. The .PSD is then placed on the Timeline in a Video Track above any other Clips. The Title is then placed above the .PSD. In PrE, one sees the Video below the Title automatically. In PrPro there is a checkbox to do this.

The grid in the .PSD is used for alignment of the elements/text in the Title.

Be sure to remove the grid, when you are done, or in PrPro, you can turn off visibility for its Video Track. Otherwise, you WILL Export the grid, and that is not what you will likely want to do. Do not forget to disable this .PSD, before the Export.

Attached are an NTSC 16:9 .PSD and an NTSC 4:3 .PSD, with proper PAR for each.

Hope that this helps someone, where they need better alignment in Titler in either PrE, or PrPro.

Hunt

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Edit] Erroneous URL removed.

Oops, please ignore the URL that appears below. It is left over from a reply to a request for a converter in the Pr forum. It did not appear on the editing screen here, and I only saw it when I posted. I cannot find a way to edit it out and hope that Steve G. or other MOD will do this for me.

Sorry about that,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for grid files, downloaded, and will check it out...

Rod

ps, I just posted, used back key on browser to get back to forum message, clicked refresh and was able to edit this mssg OK...

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I use similar, when doing a lot of PiP work. I do not use PiP Presets, as I am usually doing something that is not covered by the Presets. In those cases, I will create a similar image, but create "boxes" in the position that I will be using. These "boxes" are just Shapes that get a Stroke, so I can see them, and are sized and positioned, as is required. Often, when I create those, I'll do an Export>Frame from my Video, and use it as a "guide" in PS to position my PiP's. When I Save the alignment guide image, I just turn off visibility for that Video Frame, so that it does not interfere with my alignment guide.

Back in PrE/PrPro, I use the fixed Effect>Motion>Position and Scale to adjust my PiP material to match my alignment guides.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tested the grid idea...works well.  I ended up layering stills with transparency to see the grid and line up ...I did a test title page and stills in the same psd file...and I didn't create an overall background image...but left the screen black (black video) in premiere...can do background image later...this was first time doing a layered psd to premiere...

I found the grid (especially with the various "weights" of letters in different fonts ( like the letter T or the letter O ) need to be shifted a bit for balance and the grid helps a lot with that, as well as the horizontal postition of the images.  For some reason the images appear to go into layer OK vertically (centered at least, and can adjust from there depending again on "weight" issue), but horizontally they are off a bit (not centered exactly) all the time.

At any rate, I can see how the grid helps to get a reference for lining things up...so thanks for uploading that and sharing it.

I ended up using the eyeball and transparency a lot in psd, finally turning everything on and opaque before saving for import to premiere, and when in premiere I did what you suggested..put the grid on top video channel and it worked well.

Rod

ps. I'm finding it fun to do my own cross dissolves...so they aren't all the same exactly.  Takes time though...so I can see big benefit to just using preset with a lot of images to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2010 Jan 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some really Fun Transitions, try Keyframing Effect>Levels. Now, there are a lot of possible variations, but with patience, experimentation and a bunch of Keyframes, you can get some neat effects.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a look at a custom PiP "grid," which allows me to hit the Position and Scale easily. I do a custom one for every PiP Project, and just define my desired matrix in each one:

Alignment_Grid_01.jpg

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hai Bill Hunt,

Your postings are very helpful...

I have one requirement in Picture in Picture format as below,

I want to play the first window video first, then second and so on in this configuration and while playing one of them others have to show as still.

Regards,

amn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

To have the PiP Videos appear to be "paused," you would just add a Frame Capture Still Image, of the necessary Duration, to the Head of the Video. The process for doing the Frame Capture Still Image will differ by the version of Premiere that you have. In some versions, it's as simple as clicking on a little "camera" icon, to a rather convoluted process, involving Adobe Media Encoder (AME). One must check the Help File for their particular version for doing Frame Capture.

Note: if, when the individual PiP Videos have run, if you then want them to appear "paused," just do a Frame Capture of the last Frame, and add that Still Image to the end, and extend it for the necessary Duration.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Many Thanks........

It is very very helpful... I will use it soon for my coming project...

I hope I am not inturrepting you!!!!!

I have one more doubt...

I have one project in adobe pre.pro CS5, with the aspect ratio of 15:9 and rendered to DVD. My problem is when I am seeing this video on normal TV, missing some portion of video from left and right. So is there any solution to adjust it automatically according to the TV screen size. Or how can I render this project to the ratio of 4:3 by putting blank space on top and bottom.

I am very thankful to you for your great support..

Regards,

amn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amn,

I would post to the PrPro CS 5 & 5.5 Forum, with the full specs. of your Source Footage, and your Sequence Preset, plus your output settings.

That would be a better place to address your issue, than here, as almost no one will see your post, and respond. The PrPro Forum will get you a lot more "eyes," and help.

Good luck, and will see you in the PrPro Forum.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot for your time...

amn,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most welcome, and looks like you got the info needed on the PrPro forum.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can also use such Grids/Guides to create custom Title Safe and Action Safe Areas. Just remember to NOT Export with that custom Guide!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Bill! Just saved me creating my own.

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett,

Glad that those alignment grids worked for you.

Aside from the more "general" grids, I create custom ones, when doing something like PiP, so that I can hit the exact Position and Scale, over and over.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this solved a huge dilemma I was having.  Thank so much not only for the info on how to do this, but for also providing the grids as well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most welcome, and glad that the article and the grids have helped.

Happy editing,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to edit the grid, but was bewildered when I found channels. How can I make a grid wider, with more vertical lines?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines