Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Output WMV from Comp that has Rotobrush work (59.97 fps)

Apr 5, 2012 1:30 PM

Hello.  I am trying to output a wmv file of the footage I have rotobrushed as a tester and I am noticing that the wmv plays back very jumpy.  I duplicated my comp and changed the frame rate back down to 29.97 from 59.97 and made another wmv that is less jumpy but still is not playing back like it should.

Are there some settings that I am neglecting to change in my output settings?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Van Garmon

Are there some settings that I am neglecting to change in my output settings?

If you actually used a 59.97 frame rate, that's the problem right there:  it should be 59.94.  I'll guess it's a typo.

Based on what we know about your machine, OS AE version footage and frame rate, it's certainly possible to have something screwy in the Render Settings and the Output Module.

But could the real reason be found here?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2989384#2989384

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

And also check your framerates in teh footage interpretation and the WMV sub-panel in addition....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

Are you compressing the video? Jumpy playback is usually a data rate problem. The default output module settings are lossless. That kind of file won't playback smoothly unless you've got an incredibly powerful system with a very fast drive array.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

You can render out of AE to any convenient codec. Ofr approvals, the smaller the better, just enough to give your client the detail necessary.

Then you take that movie to Adobe Media Encoder or Apple Compressor or Sorensen Squeeze or Microsoft Encoder and transcode to a codec that is portable and playable. If that's WMV for your client, try to use a preset. If you have to create a custom setting for the encoder app, be sure to save it. Some apps will let you create droplets. Very convenient.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

Is it possible to output a wmv (for client to review) from an After Effects project that has rotobrush work without it having jumpy play back

It's perfectly possible. We do it all the time, but somehow you are still evading to face the underlying issues. Smooth playback is dependent on a lot of factors one of which is data rates to which Dave you pointed, framerate mismatches I was hinting at, another drive speed and yet anotehr graphics hardware acceleration in Windows Media player and any alternate media players. So whatever you do, it requires a methodical approach to figure out where things go wrong. Just switching to anotehr CoDec format or encoding in another app is probably not going to solve your issues. And not to ruin your day, but even if you can manage to get smooth playback on your machine, it doesn't mean your client will. They could have old, poorly maintained machines or on teh otehr hand stylish, but underpowered netbooks and then even the smallest clips from YouTube may not at all play smoothly, much less a full HD clip. Again, consider the whole chain, not just parts of it.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

Van Garmon wrote:

...I will probably just out put an AVI from AE then through Adobe Media Encoder I will make the smaller WMV....  Any thoughts on if there will be a large amount of jumpiness?

That all depends on the playback machine. Not on the codec or the render or the transcode.

We work with online reviews. I use tiny WMVs, i/4 rez/ 1/2 size. That frustrates the heck out of clients but it accomplishes two things for me: 1) playback will be superbly smooth, 2) forces the client to get off their butt and come to my lab to actually view the real thing and talk to me and point at the screen and make notes on the script.

Allowing approvals and reviews from WMVs is a bad habit. Often anuavoidable but it stifles interactivity with creative people.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Van Garmon

What experience do you have, if any, when trying to output a simple "preview" clip from an AE comp that has a 59 fps?

I work at 1280x720, 50.94 all the time.  When I send out work for approval, it's 480x270, 29.97, and usually a quicktime movie in the H.264 codec. 

I suppose I could use WMV instead, but I wouldn't change the size or frame rate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points