Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When tethered to LR3 will a Canon 30D also capture to the CF card ?*

Apr 6, 2012 2:31 AM

The question is in the header

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

I'm guessing that - as you didn't get an answer to your earlier question - nobody knows...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

This is likely a Canon question and not a Lightroom question. You may have better luck in a Canon Forum.  I can tell you that on a 40D it goes both places-the hard drive and the CF Card.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

Please note that this is a User to User forum, i.e. users ask questions, and other users post the answer (if they know).

FWIW, I would expect that answer to to your question is "yes".....I have a 40D and a 5DII and both will write to the card as well as to the computer when tethering. However, I don't have a 30D so I can't be definitive. Do you have a 30D? If so, why not simply try it and let us know?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

Yes, but not reliable. I have the 30D. During the shoot, some of the images are saved in the camera CF but some are not. I don't know why. But this happen to me every session.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

I have a vague feeling that the Canon EOS Utility may get in the way (isn't there a Preference in EOS Utility which applies to this function?)...do you have it installed? If so, you could try uninstalling it and then try tethering again.

I normally don't install the Canon utilities, but I can have a play later to see if I can recreate that problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

Try using the Canon EOS Utility 'Remote Connection.' If you have the lateset software and camera firmware version and the EOS Utility doesn't allow CF capture, then I guess you have your answer – It's not a LR issue. If you have a 'Commuincations Settings' in the camera's menu, you could try changing it and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise.....maybe it's a good excuse to buy another camera body for tethered shooting .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to geoffbubbles

There are options in the EOS Utility Preferences for 'Save also on the camera's memory card'  and 'Auto Power Off' disable to prevent losing your camera's USB connection. These only work when the EOS Utility is doing the tethered image capture. My Canon 600D isn't supported yet in LR for tethering, so don't feel so bad. I just tried a procedure at the below link using LR's 'Auto Import' function. It works well once you have everything setup properly.

http://evankafka.com/sensorsensibility/tethered-capture/

Scroll down to the section titled 'How to shoot with EOS Utility and LR' for details. The nice part about this is you have the option to review and set most of your camera's controls onscreen. You can also use 'Live Preview' mode available on the newer DSLRs like the Canon 600D. It would be nice if Adobe could incorporate live view and at least some camera controls for the Canon and Nikon DSLRs already supported for tethered capture. For now this procedure is a viable solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to geoffbubbles

OK, good to hear. You say, "the files on the PC retain the Canon file numbers." This is set using the EOS Utility Preferences 'File Name' tab. If you want the filename to match what's on the CF card make sure it is set to 'Do not modify (Download Images).'

Preferences2.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points