Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Map artwork to a 3D object

Apr 5, 2012 3:39 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Community Help

I'm trying to map art to a corrugated surface on a 3d shipping container I made in Illustrator. When I'm in 3D Extrude & Bevel Options: Map Art, there are 378 surfaces on my object. This makes mapping to one side of my object nearly impossible. I'm looking for a way to somehow merge or group the surfaces in such a way that each side of my shipping container is a single surface, rather than 100s of them. Perhaps this isn't possible in the current version, but it would make this feature a whole lot more useful to me if it was possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to jodyr

Do it the other way. Make the corrugations by means of gradients at the back of the artwork you want to map to the object and set the overlying stuff to multiply in the Transparency panel to pick up the light and dark of the gradient. Something like this

Screen shot 2012-04-05 at 4.02.41 PM.png

It will take a little experimenting and you can make several symbols to map to the different sides.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Hi Larry. Thanks for the workaround. Unfortunately, it's not going to work for my purposes. The scene I am depicting is a close up of a container at an oblique angle, so I need my artwork to look wrapped around the ribs. I've made an object in Strata CX and imported it into Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to jodyr

Maybe you are going about it in the wroing way as to how you create the corrugated object and perhaps this video will lead you in the right direction.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/CorrugatedExtrudeMapping.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to jodyr

The ribs have to be constructed in a  way that there are all smooth points on the side:

http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/map-container.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Monica, this is awesome, and a trick I will use many more times. Thank you! --jody.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Hi Wade. Thanks a ton for taking the time to make the video. You've provided a solution as well. The lesson that you and Monica have taught me is that Illustrator will see a single surface in 3D mode when smooth points are being used. I was using corner points. --jody.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Community Help

Thanks to everyone, and especially Monica, for helping me to solve this problem! --jody.

http://atman.net/IFTF/container.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to jodyr

Oops. I made the mistake of moving my object. I went from 4 to 42 surfaces. This is a very buggy feature. Once again, I'm having to figure out work arounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to jodyr

The exact nature of the bug is that upon resizing, Illustrator loses track of the fact that all my points were smooth, the result being that the surface gets arbitrarily divided up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to jodyr

Instead of resizing using the scale tool or the selection tool  since it has an effect you want to resize it using another Effect which is;

Effects>Distort and tr4ansform<Transform that is the right way to scale an effect.

However you should also make certain you have Scale Strokes and Effects enabled in th eransform panel or your Illustrator Preferenbces under the general tab.

Read about workjing with effects in the help files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thanks Wade.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to jodyr

You're welcome!

This is one of those threads that which should be marked answer so if you mark Monika's response as the correct answer it will help other users in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to jodyr

To eliminate the resize problems, with 3d objects, you can also make the object a symbol. Then you can edit a symbol instance by resizing, rotating, etc., without changing the 3d affect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade, you unearthed a flaw in this auto-forwarding of "Community Help" questions: only the Original Poster can award points and mark a question as answered ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points