Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 slide shows

Apr 5, 2012 9:51 PM

How do I burn a LR4 created slide show to a dvd to be shown on a 108i tv?

Would I be better of buying a media player to get blue ray resolution?

Replies
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Apr 5, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to fishersphoto

I often make 1080p slideshows from LR4 and burn them to DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements. They look good on my 52-inch plasma flatscreen played with a standard DVD player.

If you are on a Mac you could use iDVD to create a DVD of a video slideshow generated by LR4. If on PC you might need some third party software to do it, like Adobe Premiere Elements. I am on a Mac and find the APE works best for me, although I have used iDVD in the past with pretty good results. APE also will burn to BluRay if you have a supported burner.

I do my slideshows for photography exhibits by various groups. I have been asked about BluRay. First my Mac doesn't support it unless I get an external burner. Second, not everyone getting a DVD has a BluRay player. So just plain DVD seems to satisfy everyone.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to fishersphoto

I thought ProShow offered  free plugin for Lightroom to do so.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

ProShow is only a option for PCs. They have not developed a version for Mac. I know that the OP has a PC. Just noting for the record.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Rusty Sterling

Was it not obvious that I was replying to the question "Is there a way to export the edited photos from LR4 directly to ProShow Gold for max quality?"

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Don't get snippy. I was just noting that ProShow is not available for Mac's. Some people do not know this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Rusty Sterling

Well I'm sure they now feel fully informed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Whatever.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to fishersphoto

I'm confused by the chatter!

In response to fishersphoto's question:

fishersphoto wrote:

Is there a way to export the edited photos from LR4 directly to ProShow Gold

for max quality?

Yes, use LR's Slideshow module, make any changes using the Slideshow module's tools, and then got to Slideshow>Export video slideshow>Video Preset: 1080p. Then import the JPEG files into ProShow Gold and use it's tools for transitons, etc. You should be able to burn the ProShow Blu-ray disk image to a standard DVD. A Blu-ray DVD disk and burner is not required. I do this all the time using Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra64. A standard 4.7 GB DVD will hold about 500 pictures with run time of about 45 minutes in 1080p format playback on a Blu-ray player.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to trshaner

No need for confusion. As I responded, there is a Proshow Lightroom plugin at http://www.photodex.com/proshow/plugins

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Thanks John. I've never tried ProShow, so don't know what it or the LR plugin offers. Does ProShow provide extensive layout template tools, metadata text such as caption, date, exposure, and other EXIF data, and identity plate like LR's Slideshow module? These are all things that can be easily and quickly applied to the exported JPEGs using LR's Slideshow module. Like I said I have no experience with ProShow, but the method I outlined is what I use with PowerDirector editing app. It works very well and saves me from having to do these edits in PowerDirector. All I add in PowerDirector are native slide transition effects, timing, and music.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to trshaner

Proshow does all those things and is much more extensive than Lightroom's Slideshow. Basically it is a DVD authoring program which is designed for building multiple slideshows with a front menu (think wedding DVDs), while Lightroom's Slideshow is just a Powerpoint-style presentation tool. Proshow's Lightroom plugin is an export plugin which allows you to set some of the styles in the core program. Going back to the earlier digressions, I've always been surprised Proshow havn't gone cross platform.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Apr 7, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

That has been what I have been saying just so people know (not to show anybody up): ProShow is not available for Mac's.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Rusty Sterling

Yes, which is why I referred back to the earlier digression. The OP said he/she is using Proshow and asked a specific question about using it, not whether it works on Macs. Trshaner asked a specific question about ProShow, and didn't even mention the word Mac. There are some forum posts that are ludicrously off-topic, and yours wasn't one of those, so sorry if I am a bit sharp, but even then I don't think you were giving the whole picture  - you can run ProShow on a Mac, just not in native OSX.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

ProShow Gold looks like a nice package for only $69.95, with support for EXIF data, layers, non-destructive editing, and mixing video with pictures. Looking through the extensive 440 page user manual I did not see any references on ability to burn HD 1080p video to a standard DVD burner. Under system requirements I found this:

Optional Requirements:

For Blu-ray output, a Blu-ray writer is required. Additional RAM and free hard drive space is also recommended.

PowerDirector supports Blu-ray output to a standard 4.7 GB DVD, which plays back fine on my ancient Panasonic Blu-ray player.

To the OP fishersphoto: If ProShow Gold doesn't offer the option to burn 1080p HD Blu-ray content to a standard DVD drive, simply burn the Blu-ray image from your hard drive to DVD. Make sure the folder structure is as follows on the DVD, with 'BDMV' the top-level folder.

BD.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points