Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color densitometer or info palette when editing colors?!?

Apr 4, 2012 10:35 PM

I am new to Premiere Pro, so forgive me if I have overlooked the obvious, but I can't find any sort of info palette that displays color info when using color correction tools within Premiere Pro. I have searched this forum and the Adobe Help info, but haven't found any info.

Considering that Premiere Pro has such powerful color capabilities, I would expect there is a way to measure changes being made. Coming from a Photoshop background, I rely on the densitometer and info palette for accuracy and repeatability. Although Premiere Pro's video scopes display a lot of info (I wish Photoshop had these!), they are not very precise tools. Having a way to measure actual color values would seem critical when matching color between two different pieces of footage.

One option I found is to use the "Leave Color" color correction tool's eye dropper to select a color, and then view the color values by clicking on the sampled color swatch. This opens up the familiar color dialog box with all sorts of handy color info. If Adobe could include that, why didn't they include a simple densitometer (eye dropper tool) and an info palette that displays color reading?

If such features exist, I hope someone will point them out to me. If they exist in a third party color editing plug-in for Premiere Pro, that would be a very compelling reason to buy it. Any suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

cheers,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to davidp158

I'm not familiar with any automatic tools in PrPro to see exact color representations (i.e., RGB numbers) like you can get with the eyedropper tool in Photoshop (in fact, I don't believe there's really any need to see that information when editing for video... however, when doing CC work, I always have the Vector, YC Waveforrm, and RGB Parade scopes open in my Reference monitor on my second screen. If you don't know how to use those tools, then I would encourage you to sit down with a good video tutorial on color correcting for video such as can be found at www.lynda.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to davidp158

Yeah, there are some good points there regarding specificity of color values. My one thought, though, would be that due to the nature of the video signal, it may be impossible for that to work all the time, and if you adjusted one specific color to directly match, you might not get a consistent change of all color values, hence the need for the detailed work with the scopes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to davidp158

You can submit a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status