Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Colours Change when saving for Web

Apr 6, 2012 9:27 AM

Hi,

I'm getting a little frustrated that elements that i copy and paste (or open) in photoshop from Illustrator do not look the same, very muted, additionally when i come to save for web they look even worse. So i can never get the colours looking like the original unless (which isn't a solution) i change them manually by increasing the contrast ect.

All my colour settings/profiles are synced, the documents are both RGB. I just can't work it out

Any ideas will be very welcomed!

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/986004?tstart=0

All my colour settings/profiles are synced, the documents are both RGB. I just can't work it out

Yes, but what profile of RGB? Adobe? sRGB? ProPhoto? Are you embedding any profiles etc?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

If you are finding the colors getting "muted" as you paste in Photoshop and then worse as you export to web, it sounds like you are going from a larger gamut RGB profile down to the smaller gamut sRGB.

• Were both documents always in sRGB?
    • When you go to 'Edit > Assign Profile' in Illustrator, is sRGB assigned?
    • When in Photoshop and you go to 'Edit > Convert to Profile', is the document in sRGB?
    • When you export for web, is either the embedded profile box checked or the 'convert to sRGB' box checked?

PS_SaveForWeb.jpg

Can you show a screenshot of the image in both applications before and after pasting?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

Oli_Wales wrote:

I'm using sRGB, configured through Bridge so CS is synced. no profiles embedded.

I would get Photoshop's Color Management Policies (Edit> Color Settings) configured to preserve embedded profiles & warn of profile issues:

Photoshop_Color_Management_Policies.jpg

I think that will take you a giant step forward in understanding what's going on in Photoshop....

>> when i come to save for web they look even worse.

can you describe worse (post a screenshot of your SFW window?)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

the colors will not match if you are using different color spaces.

In Photoshop and Illustrator make sure that the color space (color profile) of the both documents is the same. In both programs you can check that by using this menu - it is at the bottom left corner of the document window:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4317273-182207/450-205/documentProfile.jpg

If  it says "Untagged" then the color space used by the image is the one selected for the working spaces for the used color mode in  your color preferences. Make sure that both programs have the same working spaces in their color settings and both are using the same color modes RGB or CMYK which is indicated on the title bar of the documents.

Also have in mind that if you have Proof Colors checked in the View menu in any of the two programs this will display the image in the color space checked in Proof Setup from the View menu which may be very different from the color space of your documents and the color settings.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points