Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to animate a blurred mask?

Apr 5, 2012 2:00 PM

I am trying to saturate a flash animation from left to right with a blurred wipe. I am attempting to do this by creating duplicate movie clips, with one of the movie clips having a filter to completely desaturate the color. I am hiding the saturated movie clip with a mask (basic rectangle) that I am animating to move out of the way revealing the "color". I would like my desired effect to "fade" in by adding a horizontal "x" blur to the mask. I have been successful at wiping in the saturation, but Flash seems to be ignoring the blur on the mask I have created.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks for the insight!

I'm using Flash Pro CS5, and I'm a complete beginner with ActionScript.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to teamsloan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to teamsloan

It's all display objects to flash. You can mask a container full of oodles of things the same way you'd do it to a single image in a container. You will incur a CPU hit if it's too complex obviously though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to teamsloan

As the tutorial no doubt explained the mask needs to be applied by script to get the gradient to work.

Here's the thing a lot of people get snagged on. What you name the clip in the library means absolutely nothing. What animationclr_mc and mask_mc are referring to are instance names.

I will post a picture of an instance name I posted in another thread. This has nothing to do with your project but the arrows will show you where you need to put the instance name so you stop getting those errors.

http://files.ertp.com/temp/exfix.jpg

You need to select the object on the screen, look in the properties panel and fill in the name I'm pointing to in the giant red arrow. In this example it points to the instance name image_mc. You can also see in the library that the name is also image_mc. That means nothing. You need to use an instance name, which is what the huge red arrows are pointing out. Click on your mask, set the instance name to mask_mc and click on the animation and set its instance name (not library name) to animationcle_mc.

Instance name and library names are 2 completely different things. Actionscript ONLY works with instance names, not library names.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to teamsloan

Glad you got it working

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers