Latest reply: Bart Van de Wiele, Apr 11, 2012 6:17 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to David Cooke

Paul - For Single Edition folios, you have three choices:

(1) Create a 1024x768 folio that might appear pixelated on iPad 3, depending on the content. The advantage is that your content is available for all iPad models.

(2) Create a 2048x1536 folio that looks great on the iPad 3, but it's not available on the iPad 1&2.

(3) Create two separate apps, one HD and one non-HD. The drawback is that you have to pay for two Single Edition licenses (unless you have a Pro subscription), and it's not certain that Apple will allow two versions of the same app in the store.

=============

David - In my limited testing, the HD renditions basically double the folio sizes if I use PNG/JPG image format -- more if I use hi-res overlay assets. If I switch from PNG/JPG 1024x768 to PDF 2048x1536, folio size goes up by about 20%. Johannes is doing more detailed tests. I'll let him chime in.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

during my testing with the new iPad and folios at 2048px (results here), I found out that you can hit the same or around the same size you had with "traditional folios", when you use PDF format to create 2048px folios.

in Detail:

• 1024×768px, PNG format: 16 MB
    • 1024×768px, PDF format: 6 MB
    • 2048x1536px, PNG format: 64 MB
    • 2048x1536px, PDF format: 16 MB

This is only a vague prediction. Bob had higher results, and I would think that this might be the normal case. But it is essential to create the retina rendition at PDF size, because in PNG format it is just abnormally large.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Great job, Bob / Henseler

I believe that next DPS could give us the option to choose the pinch/zoom in articles

Because, some publishers dosen´t want to use zoom and now PDF format always get zoom.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to Felipe - dualpixel

you need to enable / can disable Pinch&Zoom when you build your viewer.

you can build a viewer that isn't able to pinch&zoom articles. The setting goes for the whole viewer.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Sure! I forgot it

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes,

Using v18 folios, I noticed PDF compression for 1024x768 folios does not buy you better looking text when viewing pages at normal size on the retina display.

Haven't upgraded to v19 tools yet, but will those viewers behave any differently in this regard?

Thanks,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to Moodring

Jim,

yes I am pretty sure this changed with v19. I think I can remember that

text wasnt sharp until you zoomed in a little.

v19 definetly does show text fine and crisp — unfortunately, the viewer

isn't approved yet by apple, so you should wait to update if you are no pro

& enterprise customer.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Mar 20, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

So your only options for creating content for both devices is either to create a single 1024x768 folio, or seperate versions for each device?

What happened to the notion of creating a 2048x1536 folio, and letting the viewer downscale this for the older devices? Do the older devices not have the horsepower for this?

(http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2012/03/guidelines-for-creating-fo lios-for-ipad-3.html)

I think the more preferable route would be to create a single large folio, and downscale it to the older devices (assuming this were possible.) Or even having the Folio Producer Service downscale these at the time of publishing for the older devices.

Thanks,

Casey

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Casey Jensen

At this point, the older iPad models won't display 2048x1536 folios. Any 2048x1536 folio you create will only show up on the iPad 3. My understanding is that the memory limitations on the older iPad models wouldn't be able to handle the down-scaling in several edge cases, which would result in crashes.

Creating separate renditions for each device isn't as difficult as you make it sound. It takes only a few minutes to set up a rendition if you have the right file structure for your source files. You can create a set of either 1024x768 or 2048x1536 source documents -- it really doesn't matter -- and then create two different folios based on those source files. The content is scaled up or down as needed, and you have your two separate renditions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Mar 20, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob, you're right, it wasn't too bad at all. Thanks for confirming those steps.

Is Adobe working on confirming whether someone can submit a HD/non-HD version of a single-folio viewer for the iPad 1/2 & iPad3? (#3, above.)

I also noticed, using renditions on at least one occasion, that after you download a folio (say the 2048x1536 rendition on an iPad3, as an example.), the next time you launch your Content Viewer/it refreshes library, the other rendition suddenly becomes available. Why is this? And would this happen in a Production Viewer/App as well?

(It is happening with one of my 2 rendition examples.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob for so clearly answering my question.

Much appreciated!
    Paul

|
    Mark as:

I picked up an i3 this afternoon and are pleasantly suprised how two single viewer apps I recently created for clients (Bugaboo Magazine BOO for example) look on the device. Not perfect, but very acceptable, very. Normal users may not even notice anything. How are other people's first impressions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Casey Jensen

I just had the same issue as Casey.

Built a 2048 layout. Created the 2048 folio and a 1024 rendition. The 1024 shows up solo on the iPad2. At first the 2048 shows up solo on the iPad3, but then after restarting the custom viewer, the 1024 appears there as well.

Any advice on what Im doing wrong (Im new to renditions)?

Casey Jensen wrote:

I also noticed, using renditions on at least one occasion, that after you download a folio (say the 2048x1536 rendition on an iPad3, as an example.), the next time you launch your Content Viewer/it refreshes library, the other rendition suddenly becomes available. Why is this? And would this happen in a Production Viewer/App as well?

(It is happening with one of my 2 rendition examples.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Mar 24, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to D_Wilton

It was a bug that has subsequently been patched. If you re-build with the latest v19 viewer from Viewer Builder, you shouldn't run into the issue. (what I've been told -- haven't confirmed it yet.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Casey Jensen

UPDATE: Updating seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Casey. Also glad to know Im not the only one working on a too sunny Saturday!

I thought I had the latest, but I gues not. Thanks again!

dw

Casey Jensen wrote:

It was a bug that has subsequently been patched. If you re-build with the latest v19 viewer from Viewer Builder, you shouldn't run into the issue. (what I've been told -- haven't confirmed it yet.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 6, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to Casey Jensen

Join Colin Fleming, Adobe Digital Publishing Evangelist, for an Ask a CS Pro session on Friday, April 6th to learn how to efficiently design and author for both types of iPad. There are a couple things to keep in mind, and some pretty nifty solutions so that you can make your content look great on all iPad devices with minimal extra work. Adobe has just updated their guidance on authoring Digital Publishing Suite for the new iPad, and Colin will demonstrate many of these techniques in this session. He will cover:

• Layout design for flexible publishing
    • Handling interactive content for two resolutions
    • Building folios for “renditions”

When: Friday, April 6, 2012 at 12pm Pacific. Session start times for other time zones follow: http://bit.ly/HE6cmj

Register now! http://adobe.ly/GSrQo1

Recording: http://my.adobeconnect.com/p36imh6e9dp/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

So it is my understanding (after some testing) that text does look pixelated on an iPad3 (using PDF), unless you zoom in a little bit? I was expecting the text to look good from the start, without zooming. Zooming is cool to check out details, but I'm always encouraging my students to design iPad publications on a 1:1 scale. So you wouldn't require zooming which can become tiresome after some time.

Are there any upcoming fixes to address this? Or is this not considered as an issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 10, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

I've noticed a big difference in PDF text between Drop 18 and Drop 19 viewers. Drop 18 viewers seem to behave as you described - the text still looks like crap unless you zoom in slightly and force a redraw.

On drop 19, on the other hand, text looks pretty crisp in general. The last I checked the public content viewer is still drop 18.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Casey Jensen

+1. The version 18 viewer has doesn’t display properly. The version 19 viewers are fine.

If you have an enterprise or pro account you can create one yourself in about 5 minutes.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I still need to do more testing on the iPad 3 but as DPS trainer I am looking at many of the projects I have created with delegates over the past couple of months specifically for the iPad1/2 and I am seriously struggling to see any significant differences on the iPad 3. I accept there are differences but for the 'man in the street' to spot them it will be difficult. I am working on one personel project that I am planning to publish via the Single Edition option and was concerned that I would have to rebuild the project to accommodate the iPad 3 viewers, well on close examination the answer is no, it looks just as good on an iPad 3 as it does on an iPad 1 - the articles are in standard format, not pdf but I am using a lot of vector based components.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

I was having some PDF stacking errors on drop 19. When I returned to non PDF mode they went away. My DISCIPLE Newsapp is now in review. No issues so far. You guys have been great!

Ronald D.Pate, Chickasaw

The Ecclesia

Red Warrior

Tribal Member No. 20170

The Great Chickasaw Nation

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to revronpate

I tested a new article on both iPad2 and 3.

I'm using v19 producer tools

Document: 1024x768

Folio: 2048x1536

Both folio and article image format: PDF

No interactivities what so ever

Previewed on my own v19 viewer

I took a screenshot of what I get:

http://www.japan-square.be/newsletter/bart/retina.PNG

When you zoom in just a tad, the ipad3 refreshes and shows crisp text. But if you don't it stays as pixelated. And you really see it.

http://www.japan-square.be/newsletter/bart/zoom.PNG

(Be sure to copy/paste the url in the browser so the forum doesn't scale it down.)

I was expecting pixelated images, but nice text.

Seeing Johannes Henseler's iPad3 tests on this forum, I was imagining the same quality... Can someone tell me if I'm missing something? I am willing to accept that this is normal and the problem is just my expectations ;-)

But I just need to be sure for when I'm giving support to our DPS customers.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

I saw this on the version 18 viewer but with my own version 19 viewer everything is fine.

Why do you have the folio set to 2048x1536? There's no need for that and I believe if you view that on an iPad 1/2 you will see horrendous results.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I was doing an iPad3 "exclusive" test because it was the first time using the 2048x1536 folio format. But if I understand correctly:

- text should look fine (if it's PDF)

- images can look awesome (if they're given the right amount of pixels, which in this case is not)

I reinstalled my viewer builder and am recreating my v19 viewer, just to be sure. After that I'll retry.

Thanks for the quick update, Bob.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Bart Van de Wiele

Just finished reinstalling my Viewer Builder and trying the same folio preview and HEEEE-LLLOO it looks very good !

http://www.japan-square.be/newsletter/bart/v19.PNG

Problem solved !

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers