Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make "grunge text" ?

Apr 5, 2012 1:49 PM

Using PS cs5 extended with win 7 pro.  I've been trying to figure out how to make grunge (sp?) text.  I figured  I would need to make some type of layer with lines on it, put it above the text and then use a clipping mask.  I don't know how to make the background layer with the lines.  Any  with this type of text would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John Rich

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 5, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 5, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1
    • Lay down your text. 
    • Place your texture layer above the text layer, and use Free Transform to shape it to suite.
    • Ctrl/Cmd click your text layer to load it as a selection.
    • Add a Layer mask to the Texture layer.

You could toggle through the texture layer's blend modes for best effect.   If you just wanted lines from the texture, then using Lighten blend mode would overlay the lines on dark text, and darken blend mode would overlay dark lines on a lighter toned text.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Add a Layer mask to the Texture layer.

Or Cipping Mask the Layer with the texture to the Text Layer (command-alt-G).

Blue_Devil1, if you could prvovide (a link to) an example of what you are trying to emulate that might be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Hey, I didn't know that would work!  I love learning a new trick.   

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:21 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

One option to create some structure from scratch would be to use the Filters Clouds (possibly in connection with a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer) and Add Noise.

distressedTestScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

For more straight lines a Brush with 1% Roundness and the appropriate Shape Dynamics and Scattering settings might help.

distressedTest2Scr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

distressedTest3Scr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

I'm not sure how to do that with a brush  unless I just make a bunch of lines on a layer one at a time.  Is that how I do it?

Try creating a Brush Preset with settings as shown above, these Shape settings and some Scattering and do a few strokes on the canvas.

brushSetting.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Don't forget Filter > Render Fibers if you want lines.   Clouds and Fibers are the two starting blocks for a huge number of illustrative effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

John,

Nice to see you here!

When "creating" Text with "character," there are many, many methods, and sometimes the background, or the use, will dictate one method vs another.

I usually go into the process with the idea in my mind, and use many of the variations outlined above. As I am less often trying to replicate an example, but instead, create something from the recesses of my brain. As you found out, the results can differ, depending on aspects, such as pixel x pixel Image Size/resolution. It's also great to have as many methods, as possible, to work with, as sometimes, a combo of techniques can yield vastly different results. Same for a bunch of Textures.

I often start with an older plug-in for Text, from the PhotoFX folk, and then go from there.

Also, creating Text as a Selection (like back in the olden days of PS), and then working from there, can be very, very useful.

Take care, and glad that the folk here got you what you wanted - they ARE good!

See 'ya,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

If the lines are not strong enough, try copying the texture layer, and seeting the copy's blend mode to Multiply.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

John,

I completely understand. Many years ago (about PS 4.0 days), I did a series of tutorials for a graphics client, and many of those were doing "stuff" to Type. Some years later, I needed to apply some of those techniques, and could not even get started. Found the old WordPerfect tutorials, and had a good read of my own words, and it all came back to me.

Is this the article that you are referring to? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/479026?tstart=0

Good luck, and see you in the Encore Forum.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

Also, is there someway to make the outside of the text irregular

I use a (scaled) Pattern Layer set to Blend Mode Hard Mix and Gaussian Blur the underling layer.

The scale of the pattern and the strength of the blur determine the result.

But this results in black and white pixels, so one could do it at 200% size (for example in a Smart Object) and downscale it.

distressedTest4Scr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

Another possibility for disturbing lines is the Displace Filter with a Displacement Map with different scaled noise in two channels.

distressedTest5Scr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

Try downloading some "grunge" brushes and use them on a mask over your text.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:02 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

you lost me with your displacement instructions ie I'm not sure what 2 channels mean.

If the psd-file that is used as a Displacement Map is RGB, CMYK or multichannel the first channel is used for horizontal and the second for vertical offset.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points