Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need a procedure for bringing MXF files into Premiere Pro from a Focus Enhancements FS-5

Apr 6, 2012 3:32 PM

That's it.
I can drag and drop the files into the resources pane, but when I drag them onto the timeline the "distribute" themselves - the video file goes on the video track, then the left side audio file appears on the first mono audio track 1 with its start point aligned with the outpoint of the video, and the right audio channel appears on the second mono audio channel with ITS start point aligned with the outpoint of the audio channel on a-track 1.

All of this is can be fixed. I can align the tracks and link them and then they are fine, but it seems to me that there must be a less cumbersome and risky procedure.

When we import from the FS-5 into our Avid system, it creates a single "pilot" file name with all the video, lft, and rht files "attached" to it. You click on it and the whole file set does what you tell it to do.

I've asked Focus Enhancements Support for help, but yet again they cannot be bothered to answer. FE makes good products, but their support is well... manure.

Thanks, JP

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

I tried reading up about this device - the manual is a little fuzzy on the MXF details.  But it sounds like it generates MPEG-2 and writes it an OP Atom container (ie one MXF file per video or audio stream), that's kind of weird.  Sounds like they were targetting Avid directly with this implementation... pretty much every other vendor we see prefer using OP1A (ie a single MXF container file containing all the video/audio streams).

We handle OP Atom file structures specifically for Panasonic P2 material, so if you use the Media Browser to point to the directory, it figures out automatically the video/audio associations & treats it all as a single master clip.  So definitely try importing via the Media Browser - however, if it's MPEG material and is going through our XDCAM importer, that doesn't try to do file association as it's usually OP1A and all the essence is supposed to be contained within the one MXF file, so I suspect it'll probably still fall back to importing individual channels as separate clips.

You might want to look & see if there's a setting anywhere on the device that lets you record as OP1A instead.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points