Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Which tools or tutorials do you recommend for this?

Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM

Hi.Black dog final  email.jpg

Complete novice & on CS5.

Dangerous combination!

I need to add some 20% extra sky on top of an image to balance the shot.

Nothing in the sky as such but different tonal range as you go noth as it should get darker, but I am having problems blending the copied sky above and in some way blending it well.

I had considered a grad filter, though, again, I'd need to watch a tutorial 1st!

I did say I was a novice.

I copied the sky up by adding 20% move canvass, clicking on the area which became a boxed in with marching ants with the Magic Wand thingy and copying the sky via the Clone Stamp tool.

It did not look right at all.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to pat agonia

You might be able to get away with stretching the sky, adding a gradient overlay adjustment layer with foreground to transparent

with reverse, some cloning and adding some noise with the filter>add noise (gaussian-monochromatic) on a new layer set to softlight and filled with a neutral background color.

(set your toolbox colors to default by pressing D before add the gradient layer)

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 7, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to pat agonia

I don't know, but would guess at:

• Extend canvas vertically
    • Use the rectangle Marquee tool to select that bit of sky above the oblisque
    • Feather the selection (how much depends on image pixel size)
    • Use Free Transform to stretch the selection to fit the expanded canvas.

• Personally I would select the oblisque and copy it to a new layer (Ctrl Cmd j)
    • Create a new layer between the background and oblisque layers
    • sample foreground colour from near the horizon, and background colour from the top of the sky
    • Run a gradient down the image in the blank layer.
    • Add a layer mask and mask out the bottom section of that layer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 7, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to pat agonia

OK Pat.  We'll do it in easy stages.

• select the Lasso tool and draw round the oblesque.  (Hold down the Alt key while clicking on each corner in turn)
    • Ctrl J will make a copy of the oblesque on a new layer.
    • Hold down the Ctrl key while you click on 'make a new layer' at the bottom of the layers palette.  (this should place that layer between the background, and copy of the oblesque layers.
    • Select the background layer, and the paint brush (b)
    • Alt click on the sky near the bottom of the image (close to the horizon.
    • swap fore ground background colour (x) and Alt click on the sky at the top of the image.

Your foreground and background colours should respectively match the sky at its lightest and darkest tones.

• Select the Gradient tool (behind the Paint bucket) and select the empty layer between the background and copied oblisque layers.
    • Click somewhere near the top of the image, and hold down the Shift key while clicking again near the horizon.  (If the gradient is the wrong way round, undo (Ctrl z) and do it again but start at the bottom this time.)

• With the gradient layer still sellected, click on Add Layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
    • Paint with black in the layer mask to hide the gradient where it covers the forground.  Do this with a large soft brush so you get a nice feathered interface where your gradient intersects with the background layer.

I hope this is OK.  A few of those steps could be improved upon, but I tried to make it as straight forward as possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to pat agonia

pat agonia wrote:

I have not the first idea what each of these steps means!

Pat, don't lose heart!  Anyone starting out with Photoshop would have the same issues and I can clearly remember being in the same situation.  There is a sharp learning curve (so many functions, so many technical terms to describe the tools and how they work) but I guarantee that if you stick with it you won't regret it.  Trevor has done a great job detailing the steps, but if some are still challenging, just report the steps you are having problems with and screenshots can be provided.

I find it hard to believe that Content-aware fill won't work on a Windows Vista 32 bit system, because I don't see any mention of that in the System Requirements. 

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/tech-specs.html

I assume you have 4 GB RAM and not 4 MB RAM as you state in post #7.  I have a 4 GB RAM Windows 7 64 bit system and everything runs just fine.  Maybe someone who knows more about the system requirements can chime in and comment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to pat agonia

I still don't think you need a 64 bit environment for content aware fill if you have 4 GB RAM.

Take a look at this Adobe article which sounds like the error you are getting.  There are some troubleshooting steps.   http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error-enough-memory-content-aware. html

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points