Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I remove text from an image

Apr 6, 2012 3:27 PM

Tags: #remove_text

I was trying to use the magic wand and then inverting but it is not removing the text.

I tried the clone stamp but it's on a tile background so very hard to make it look good. I just want to redo the text because it was written by someone that does not speak English/American.

slide3.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to talbot

Filter>Vanishing Point.

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to talbot

I am waiting until R_Kelly share the details. This is a new one to me. Nice thing about hanging out in this forum, is that even an "old dog," like me, can learn new tricks.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

I am waiting until R_Kelly share the details. This is a new one to me. Nice thing about hanging out in this forum, is that even an "old dog," like me, can learn new tricks.

Hunt

R Kelly's Kung Fu is strong!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 6, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to pf22

Basically, the Vanishing Point filter allows you to identify the perspective in part of an image, then clone from other parts that are at a different distance; it takes care of the scaling.  It's pretty slick, though I've always thought it would be better integrated directly into Photoshop rather than being in a plug-in type format.

The other day I used it on a photo of a series of statues of archers.  The one on the end was missing part of her bow...

ArchersMissingBow.jpg

VanishingPointPerspectiveSet.jpg

VanishingPointPainting.jpg

VanishingPointDone.jpg

ArchersBowRestored.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,853 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

There is a great Vanishing point tutorial in the You Suck at Photoshop series, and it is as funny as all of those tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6-twlgJhU

[EDIT]  I had forgotten how funny that was.  Go Donny!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,853 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to talbot

That is a particularly clever example, but the cool trick at the end is more about Free Transform, and an image with a nice flat horizon, a clear perspective, and no detail in the desert around the train and tracks.  Without those image charicteristics, the Free Transform of the background layer copy would not have dissapeared so seamlessly into the distance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:43 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

There is a great Vanishing point tutorial in the You Suck at Photoshop series, and it is as funny as all of those tutorials.

Trevor, thanks so much for posting that!  How hilarious! (And what a great tutorial!)  I'll be viewing all the others in the series...

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,853 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 7, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Going back to Vanishing Point,  our Mr R Kelly did a fine job, but there is not enough information in the image for an easy fix.  Add in the shadow of the oerson carying the coffee cup, and highlights to either side of her, then it's a tricky fix, and I am not surprised talbot was having problems with it.  I think an easier fix would be

• Draw round the jacket with the Pen tool, and copy to a new layer.  Keep this layer at the top of the stack, and lock its transparent pixels
    • Fix the text on the jacket (clone, or just paint it out with a black brush.
    • Try Content Aware Fill on the rest of the text.  it will mess up, but might give you a better starting point.
    • select that area of pavement between the text and the lady with the coffee cup and copy to a new layer.  Make it a smart object.
    • Use Free Transform to scale it up and move it to cover some of the text.
    • I think you'll need to make at least one more copy to cover more of the text.
    • If you have any missing slab joints, paint them in with a long, one pixel black line, and reduce opacity until they look right. Then mask out the bits you don't need.
    • Fixing the shadows and highlights is going to be tricky, but doable with careful masking.

If you had more information in the original that was posted here, that could make it heaps easier.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to talbot

Have you tried selecting just the white text (e.g., with the Magic Wand Selection Tool), then expanding the selection a few pixels and invoking Content Aware Fill?  That does a passable job of getting you started.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points