Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PAL Codec question

Apr 6, 2012 8:37 AM

Tags: #export #codec

Hi

I am trying to esport some footage, which I have previously used the standard Quicktime/PAL Widescreen settings, with the default DV25 PAL codec to do in the past.  Now, the end user has now asked if I can "supply as DV25/50 rather than DV Pal" and I am unsure what they mean.  Due to it being Easter, I can't contact them for some days, and wondered if anyone here could offer ideas?  Is it the DV50 PAL codec, or something only found on an Apple system for example?

System is a windows based workstation, not Apple

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to PmPhotographic

Can you give it to them as a DVD or Blu-ray disk? Can you export to Panasonic's Intra Frame codec? There should be some codec with in Premiere that you can use. Having said that Premiere should be able to output to DV-25 or DV-50 to PAL or NTSC.  DV-25 and DV-50 can be either NTSC or PAL. You should be able to do what you they need. Check the output options of Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to PmPhotographic

You could set your sequence up as DV-50 PAL and then on export opt to use sequence/timeline settings. NTSC and PAL are just different protocols. Europe uses PAL and the Americas use NTSC. NTSC is 30 fields per second at 720 X 480. I think PAl Pal is 25 fields per second at 720 X 560. I could be wrong about the PAL specifications but PAL and NTSC  are different from each other. DV-25 is 4:1:1 color space and DV-50 is 4:2:2 color space. With Premiere you can have 1080P sequences but output as a DV-50 PAL file/codec. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to PmPhotographic

DV-50 just has more color space than DV-25. DV-50 is a better codec than DV-25. DV-25 is 25 megabits per second where DV-50 is 50 megabits per second. If your project is SD then DV-50 is a good choice if your project is HD then AVC Intra is a better choice. Premiere Pro can make editing sequences for either and out put to either.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to PmPhotographic

There is no need to download a crappy demo codec. Instead spend some time with the export options in Premiere Pro. My advise for you as of now is find at different career path :  )

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points