Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,526 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Discovered a Neat New Crop Tool Improvement

Apr 7, 2012 10:36 AM

I set my Crop Tool to 8 x 10 (no units).

I was able to crop a portrait oriented image easily to the proper ratio without resampling.  Nice!

Portrait_8x10.jpg

Without changing the settings, I then invoked the crop tool on a landscape oriented image and noticed that the Crop Tool automatically showed a 10 x 8 ratio outline.  AWESOME!!!

Landscape_8x10.jpg

-Noel

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,939 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey that's a good find, and one I have not seen documented in any of the previews etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Nice find. Would that be similar to saving the healing brush points for cleaning sensor dust in portrait and

then finding they transpose to landscape. Makes perfect sense and is a great "feature"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yeah that's nice to have that feature without having to use the Rectangular marquee tool.

I think you'd get the same results in cs5 if one just entered the ratio in inches (resolution field blank) and then went to the image size and changed the resolution back to the original without resample on.

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

But with CS5 you knew that the crop tool  knew what resolution you were working in (or wanted to crop to) just by looking at/filling a little box. Now it requires using a drop down menu.

With CS6 I have had to create presets for each of my own 3 printers, for the printers of two printing houses I work with regularly. That's 5 presets for 5x7, 5 presets for 7x5, and so on for every size.

I haven't even started with web, yet.

I would rather have it be a bit less whiz-bang and a little bit more practical.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No, I seldom upsample (and when I do, I use Perfect Resize plug in) but I work at 360 which is the highest resolution I ever need, but I do need to downsample often: for e-mails, for web, for the optimum size for the printer at the photolab, for the resolution book or catalog art designers want, for the resolution the giclee printer wants, for power point presentations--you get the idea.

My own archival image will be at the largest size and highest resolution, but there are many uses for both my personal images and the images for our business and resolution is just one component, but it's an IMPORTANT component.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to ckc48

I don't care about resolution.

Yes.

Too many do.

"But it's for web... it HAS to be 72 DPI..."

Now that even cell phones are taking... 8MP plus. I think this fixation on the "right" PPI will fade.

Look at Pixel Dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to ckc48

If people want to Crop to a certain print size, they can just type in a unit of measure in the crop input, like 8 cm X 12 cm. This will change the metadata so the resulting image will print to a certain size without having to resample the image.

If you are cropping images for web, you can type in "px" in the crop input and the crop will resample to the indicated pixel dimensions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points