Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
eyeLINEphotography
Currently Being Moderated

New Canon 5D MkIII

Mar 24, 2012 7:54 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #raw #update #camera_raw #.cr2

I have just downloaded  RAW 6.7 and PS5 will now see and open my files.

BUT LR3 will not

Any suggestions or do I just have to wait and not use LR3 until a version for that arrives.

I am running these on an iMac (1 yr old) The computer also does not have a RAW  update for this camera.

Regards

Des

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

Lightroom 3 is now officially out of production and is no longer officially supported by Adobe. That means that if it will not open your raw files it never will. You have two choices, basically. You can upgrade to Lightroom 4, or you can use the latest DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw images. Those DNG files will be usable in Lightroom 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

Lightroom does NOT use the Camera Raw plug-in. All of that technology is built into the Lightroom program. The only way you get added support for additional cameras in Lightroom is to download the Lightroom updates that are made available. Lightroom 3.6 is the last version of the 3.x series, and it will be necessary for you to purchase a paid upgrade to get any additional support.  And it may take an additional update or two before your camera is supported.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

But Photoshop CS5 is still the current official release of that product. Lightroom 4 has been released. Lightroom 3 is no longer a product that Adobe is working on as far as I am aware. You can wait, and hope, and beg. You "might" get something in the form of an update, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. As far as Adobe is concerned, Lightroom 3 is obsolete. Adobe has moved on, and I suspect that is just what you're going to have to do too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

Lightroom 3 is no longer a product that Adobe is working on as far as I am aware.

That's basically correct however, both ACR and LR have to stay in step, so, I would expect to see a LR 3.7 when ACR 6.7 is released in final form.The same thing happened when the final version of LR 2 was updated to match the final version of ACR for CS4. Both .7 versions as I recall.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Lightroom 3.6 is the last update available for Lightroom 3.  Going forward, new camera support will only be added to Lightroom "4.x" releases.

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Tom Hogarty

I stand corrected...sorry I misspoke.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

So, now that we know LR4.x  Do we know when?  Nothing like spending $3500 and having no place to go for your work flow...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to everywhere.101

If you download the DNG 6.7 Converter beta, you'll be able to convert the 5DMIII files to DNG and use in the current LR/ACR versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to everywhere.101

Lightroom 4.1 RC1 will allow you to open and edit Canon 5D MkIII images without conversion to DNG. It can be downloaded from http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

Adobe not Apple, and if you bought from Adobe, not eBay or somewhere like that, you can try calling Customer Service and see if they will give you LR4 for free.  I think others have said they did this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Yes they will send you the latest upgrade if you just purchased it and it came out a few weeks later... I had the whole CS5 Creative Suite Master collection and they came out with the 5.5 and sent me the entire new program... They are very generous that way, you just need to ask!  And as far as the software not working, I too have the 5D Mkiii and it is frustrating, but Canon (or the camera manufacture) is the one that changes things and Adobe has to try and keep up!  A lot of new cameras hit the market in the last month or so, as did their new software, and they are working on CS6...  Kudos to the developers to getting fixes out this fast!   Thanks Adobe:-}

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

While “Amazon” may be an Adobe reseller, other retailers on that are part of the Amazon Marketplace are not legit Adobe resellers.  When you say you purchased via Amazon, which “Amazon” was it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

You might try a customer service chat or phone number, if such a thing exists in the Euro version of Adobe’s website.    Assuming Amazon EU is a legit Adobe reseller, then Adobe should be able to find records of the order that’s been transmitted to them along with the serial number information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to JimHess

Well we do have one other option. That is, we can just not use Lightroom anymore, be as loyal to Adobe as Adobe is to their customers, and focus our workflow on Aperture instead of Lightroom.  There's an option!  If Photoshop can open 5D Mk III files, and DNG Converter can open Mk III files, there is no reason why Lightroom 3 cannot.  This is a dirty tactic to force people to upgrade. I'm highly disappointed in Adobe over this.  Frankly I can't believe there aren't more peopel in an uproar over this injustice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Timothy Haines

My guess: It's just not worth it to them (Adobe) to continue supporting new cameras in legacy versions of Lightroom. But, I could be wrong...

I mean: switch to Aperture if you prefer it, or you really believe in your cause..., but to me it would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face - YMMV.

Reminder: Lr4 is a $79 upgrade, not $790.

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Timothy Haines

Timothy Haines wrote:

This is a dirty tactic to force people to upgrade. I'm highly disappointed in Adobe over this.  Frankly I can't believe there aren't more peopel in an uproar over this injustice.

The reality is that camera support has to be added, it doesn't just fall from the sky. It's Adobe's policy to offer free updates to currently shipping products. When the 5D MIII came out, Adobe had released Lightroom 4 and 3.x was end of lifed. Could they upgrade 3.x for new cameras? Sure, but it's not a simple thing to ask...it would require having two code branches alive and active at once, one for 3.x and one for 4.x. Adobe made the policy decision that's a waste of dev resources...

If you want to use a 5D MIII in Lightroom 3.x, you can...Adobe offers the free DNG Converter which can create DNGs that are compatible all the way back to ACR 2.4 in Photoshop CS and Lightroom 1.

The other part of this story you don't seem to grasp is who is really at fault here? Adobe for not providing backwards compatibility to old versions of software or the camera companies that refuse to ahere to any raw file format standards...if they adopted a standard file format such as DNG, new cameras would automatically be suppored by older software...to want to complain? Go complain to the camera companies...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

...it would require having two code branches alive and active at once, one for 3.x and one for 4.x. Adobe made the policy decision that's a waste of dev resources...

If I were a member of the Lightroom development team, I would be ecstatic about this decision. I hate having to maintain mutiple code branches just so a relatively few users can avoid a relatively small upgrade fee.

Come on people! - Lr4/PV2012 is the cat's meow... - why in the world would you want a spankin' new camera and then use inferior software to process the raws from it - I just don't get it...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Does Apple Aperture only come in one version, or are all version upgrades free, or does the very first version of Aperture support the 5D.3 perhaps because the support is built in to the OS instead of a particular product, or why is Apple’s upgrade and camera support policy preferable to Adobe’s?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

eyeLINEphotography wrote:

I bought Aperture 3 so I presume at one point there was a 1 and 2. So far any updates have been free.

I'm "sure" *major* upgrades of Aperture are not free - I think that was ssprengel's point.

I finally gave in and Purchased LR4

Why? Which one do you use for raw conversion and editing?? (both???)

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to eyeLINEphotography

So why did i buy Aperture? Because it had a feature that the version of LR I had didn't have, but now I would say LR4 is way out in front.

Please forgive if I'm prying, but would you mind sharing which feature, and in what way you consider Lr4 out in front now?

Thx,

R

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 1:27 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I down loade the 7.1 converter and it still cannot reconize the Raw files from my Mk III

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Mirrabooka

ACR 7.1 does work with 5D.3 files, so something is either wrong with the files, or you’re not actually using the ACR 7.1 that you downloaded and should have installed.  ACR 7.1 only works with CS6.

In PS, if you do Help / About Plug-in… / Camera Raw… what version does it report, and do you see more than one entry for Camera Raw?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to Mirrabooka

The Adobe DNG Converter is a stand-alone application.  Version 7.1 does support that camera.  What you need to do is launch the Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 and, from within that application, point it to a folder containing your raw files.

Plaese note that it works on folders only, not on individual files.

Within the Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 just select the FOLDER where the files reside and click Convert (or whatever the interface says at that point).

EDITED typos

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points