Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Iphone 4s video being brought into after effects - really small.

Apr 6, 2012 6:59 AM

So I have an Iphone 4s. I shot some 1080 video, brought it into after effects on a compisiition set up as HDTV 1080p and the video is really tiny, like I have to stetch it out just to see it and whne I do i lose quality. any recomendations for brining 1080p iphone 4s video into after effects?

If i copy it of the iphone and play it, i can play at full size or at the size it opens as and its still 1080p.

If I upload straight from the phone to youtube it registers as 1080p and lets me plat at full size or default with out loss of quality.

If I bring into after effects its tiny on this black background....and rendering out also makes it "tiny" and not 1080p.

Tips, Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Adrien.

So how big does AE say the video is?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Adrien.

Could be some odd headers or MPEG stream flags busting up resolution interpretation or some issue in Quicktime. Or any chance iPhones embed thumbnail previews? Definitely verify what resolution AE thinks the file is and also check it in Quicktime. If all else fails, you could always export it from QT Pro and fix or strip whatever data may throw AE off track or mangle it through some conversion tools. Perhaps all you need on the otehr hand is to update iTunes/ Quicktime....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I think that Mylenium is on the right track. If you view a movie in QuickTime and preview it at something other than its actual, size, QuickTime will write metadata to the file about the "preview size" versus "actual size". This metadata can sometimes trip After Effects up. I think that we fixed that bug in After Effects CS5.5. What version are you using?

You can get around this by opening the video in QuickTime and previewing it at full size and then saving the video out of QuickTime again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Adrien.

> If I were to render this out, one it would go from 88mb's to 2 gigs - explanation on why HD settings crank up the file size? How can I render out HD and keep the file size small, I mean this file is 88mb's

This is a very different set of questions than the ones about the frame size. See these FAQ entries to understand file size and compression options:

"FAQ: Why is my output file huge...?"

"FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Adrien.

Show us a screenshot of your Project panel, too. Make sure that your footage item is selected, so that we can see the information in the top of the Project panel about that footage item.

|
    Mark as:
  • A.I.1
    36 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to Adrien.

It's saying your .MOV video is 1080x1920 (1080 wide, 1920 high) at 24 fps, with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.00 (square pixels).

Your composition is at 25 fps (not 24), and 1920x1080 (1920 wide, 1080 high) with a frame aspect ratio of 2.37:1 etc.

"Thats not right - it should expand to fit the whole area"

It's not expanding to fill the whole area because your composition is widescreen (frame aspect 2.37:1.  normal HDTV is at 1.78:1), and your .MOV video is shot in portait mode - a very narrow aspect ratio (frame aspect 0.56:1)

It looks like the video as shown in windows media player is the wrong way up (ie. rotated 90 degrees - which is why it fills the screen) ie. the wooden floor tiles are vertical on the windows media screenshot whereas on the screenshot from after effects they are horizontal and the pet is shown the right way up.

I think if you want to record widescreen (instead of portrait format) video with your iPhone 4, you need to hold it horizontally rather than vertically before pressing Start to record the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to A.I.1

I agree with AI1's assessment.

If you rotate your footage layer 90 degrees, you should get things to work out. Be sure to use the correct pixel aspect ratios, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points