Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cropping and the snap to grid?

Apr 6, 2012 8:51 PM

When cropping my crop area (square/rectangle/what-have-you) is always snapping to some sort of invisible grid.  Is this just how Lr4 works or is there a setting I have settup incorrectly?

And also, When I crop an image I have to move the image into the cropping "square" and cut of a portion of the photo but it's only part of the image I want cropped.  And when I do have the image I press "return" and the image appears to be cropped until I go to crop more of the image.  Suddenly I'm left back at the state before the previous crop.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!  (I hope this makes sense)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

No, not really ;-)

I am unclear whether you might be bitten from a bug or if you need some explanations about what to expect.

So I'll adress the latter. To chase a bug you need to give more info about your OS and the steps you are exactly doing.

Snapping while in crop mode is something I know when I try to switch from a portrait image to crop for landscape or vice versa. If I want to crop like this I hit the X key first, as this will give me the same image ratio with the side-lenghts swapped. Then I can drag around without further snapping.

LR displays cropping the opposite way as Photoshop: you move the image underneath the crop-rectangle, not placing the crop part on top the image.

As LR is non-destructive, you should get your latest crop rectangle ("overlay" in proper terms) displayed again whenever you return to crop mode. So you start refining from there.

If you do not see the crop overlay you may have toggled off the visibility of overlays. Set it back to visible from the menu choices in the crop panel in the top right corner.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

When you are satisfied, you either hit the <enter> key or click on "close" on the crop-panel. It is the bottom of the crop panel, but that is still high on the right-hand panel.

I do not find a "done" in my LR4.0.

...as I am more of a keyboard-guy than mouse-guy I always have to take a look to answer.

<esc> is the shortest way to abandon the crop endeavour and return to where you started invoking the crop (which could be library module if you used the R key).

To my knowledge you can only crop in rectangular way. You have different overlays to guide your decision-making (like spiral etc. - toggle with O key), but the result will always be some rectangle, which can be square, of course.

If you open the padlock you are free to drag the ratio, or you could choose from the drop-down menu "Aspect" one of the presets or enter your own dimensions. LR will recalculate them, though and display maybe different.

So circular is not possible.

For circular you could employ a trick e.g. in Print module: create a watermark or identity plate with circular opening, opaque for the rest.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

X key is for setting the 'reject flag', except when in crop mode - then it defaults to switching the orientation, as Cornelia stated.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

Yes, I am on windows.

X is "mark as delete" for me also when I am in Library module.

But once I am in crop tool (after having hit R) the X becomes "invert ratio width-length".

Crop overlays: I have two-thirds, diagonal envelop-like, spiral, narrow grid. That is hitting O once in crop tool (after R) to toggle them all thru.

Shortcuts are identical on Mac and Windows apart from the modifier keys ctrl-vs-cmd, alt-vs-opt.

So I'd expect you see the same.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

Yup, it's there, as well as 'Close' in the Crop panel, hitting the 'Return' key, or hitting the 'R; key...all do the same thing. There's usually more than one way to control a function in LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

I'm on Windows 7, but would assume the Mac version has the 'Done' button as well. Anbody?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to trshaner

Mac also has a [Done] button. You can also hit [Return] or Double-click inside the cropped boundary.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

Ummm I don't know about the rest of you, but I just press the 'R' key again to exit cropping.

Its a toggle: Now you're cropping, now you're not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to CharliePuckett

Some people prefer a mouse

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

Hi prodigy,

I stumbled upon one more option to achieve the look of a circle crop:

Go to the Effects panel in develop module, and set the post-crop vignette to zero feather, completely round, and apply a strong amount.

Maybe you like that look?

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to trshaner

If you aren't seeing the [Done] button, hit the [T] Key to invoke the Toolbar...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points