Skip navigation
pghdiane
Currently Being Moderated

Having trouble importing .MOV files

Apr 8, 2012 2:40 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_8 #import_issue

I have a Canon EOS 60D which shoots video clips with a file extension of .MOV.  I have Premier Elements Vers.8.0 and when I try to import the clips, it errors out and says it doesn't support .MOV files or Codec is missing...I'm not even sure what that means.  Is there a fix for this?  Please let me know, thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to pghdiane

This camera saves its MOV video with the MJPEG codec, which Premiere Elements does not support.

You can possibly get it to work by making sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime Player installed and by installing the software that came with the camera -- but it still may not go.

If that's the case, you may either have to edit it using the editing software, if any, that came with the camera or download Quicktime Pro ($29) from Apple. You can also try to use one of the conversion programs we recommend in our FAQs to convert it to an editable format.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to pghdiane

Welcome to the forum.

If that MOV "wrapper" contains the MJPEG CODEC, and Steve will know, then you might be able to install the Canon MJPEG CODEC, which should be included with the camera's utility disc. It might be a separate installation, but more likely installed with the camera's driver, or, most likely, along with a Canon editing, or cataloging utility, such as ZoomBrowser. Even if one does not use that utility, having the proper CODEC installed might allow PrE to edit the material. Using the version of MJPEG that the camera maker uses, is the ideal, as most mfgrs. tweak the MJPEG CODEC a bit, so a commercial version of MJPEG may not work effectively. See this ARTICLE for more details. See this ARTICLE for more general info on CODEC's. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Video formats, as "wrappers."

Good luck, and I hope that with the installation of the Canon MJPEG CODEC, PrE will be able to edit the material.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points