Skip navigation
jahmanwife@hotmail.com
Currently Being Moderated

Video won't open in iPad/iPad 2

Apr 6, 2012 7:13 AM

Tags: #ipad

I've tried several different saves using the presets for iPad and went to the Apple store to find the actual settings for the video's to open in iPad/iPad2.  Still I can see the download from the server I use for my clients but they (the client) say they don't get anything or they get a circle with line running through it.  Meaning it won't download.  I have a small on-line business where video's are downloaded to the client.  I need to figure this out.

I've tried widescreen, regular screen, medium and quality, File type is H264, frame: 29.97 or 30, AAC, 128 kbps, 48 kHz Stereo

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 - Version 10

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Are you saying that you're using Share/Portable Devices/iPad to output your video and that your clients are not able to play the video on their iPads when they browse to it on their iPads?

I just want to be clear that this is the situation and you're not talking about people trying to just view the videos on their PCs.

And can you post a link here to one of the videos so we can check it out ourselves?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

I would try to isolate the problem to the file, or the server first. If your friend is close enough, I would manually upload that file to their iPad for testing, or perhaps put it onto a thumbdrive, and take it ot the Mac store for a manual upload and test. If that file then plays fine, the indication would be that there is an issue with the FTP (or whatever Protocol you are using) on the server-side.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Nope. It's easier than that, Bill.

The Photobucket site that jahmanwife is posting to is converting all his videos to Flash (similar to the way YouTube does). Your iPad/iPod has special software for playing YouTube videos, but it doesn't work with this site.

Jahmanwife, you will need to either create your own web site to post your MP4s to or find a site that will not re-encode your videos as Flash when you post them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hey, I like "simple."

Flash is a forbidden format on most things Apple, so if the file is being converted to FLV, they will likely never play on anything Apple.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Sorry, but unless we can see the raw MP4s, we can't really evaluate them.

You can post them to http://Muvipix.com, which has a Gallery where users can post video in its original format for free. You can post it to there and link to it. Or you can upload it a web site and post a link to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

The video on the page played perfectly on my PC, my Mac and on my iPod.

The page loads pretty poorly, and it took quite a while for it all to load.

But once it did, the video plays just perfectly. So I'm not sure what's going on at your clients' end.

I'd say the problem is that you're using the iPad output for your web video. That video output is designed for use on a portable device -- It doesn't load efficiently to a web site. For one thing, you're taking a video that's being made at 640x480 and loading it to the web site in a space that's only about 278x240 pixels!

Try outputting your video from Premiere Elements using Share/Computer/Quicktime with Advanced video settings of:

Video codec: H.264

Frame width 320x240 (You may have to disable Constrain Size to do this)

Quality 65%

Frame Rate 15 fps

Field Type Progressive

Aspect Square Pixels

Limit Data Rate to 550 Kbps

Keyframe every 15 frames

Audio Codec AAC

If you're interested, I explain the whys and hows of these settings in my book.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

As far as I know, iPads/iPods/iPhones do not download a video in order to play it. They just stream it from the site itself -- so it needs to be web-optimized, as I indicated above.

This would be different if you were posting your video to a podcast site or some place where people could download it through iTunes. But that's very different than what you're trying to do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points