Go to library mode.
1. Select the files that you want to rename. (I selected 3 files)
2. From the main menu and chose Library > Rename photo... or F2
3. In the Reanme dialob box there is a down arrow on the right of the File Namie text box. Click the down arrow to select your name convention.
I selected Custom Name - Original file number.
4. Type the name you want your batch to contain and click OK
Wa La - I have Sacramento-0689.dng, Sacament-0690.dng, Sacramento 0691.dng
Important - the batch rename must be done in Lightroom or it will be displayed as offline or missing.
I am having a similar problem in Lr4. I made the mistake of not specifying a custom name at the beginning of a big import and I now have hundreds of photographs called "untitled_date_picture name_sequence.dng" I have created a custom renaming action that I normally use for all imports except this time I forgot to specify the custom text part at the beginning of the file string.
I cannot see how I can now batch change the "untitled" part only to show correctly. If I try and create a new renaming action by adapting a custom action i.e. by making the following:
Peru_Date_File Name (or Original File Name)_Sequence, the 'file name' part is replaced by "untitiled_111002_P1000245_12" for example. I am guessing that this is becasue the 'file name' is the entire string and not just the P1000245 part only which is the name created by the camera.
Any ideas how I can batch change the 'untitled' bit only or do I have to reimport the photos all over again?
Alternatively, is there a way to do this with the file names in Finder? I'm on a Mac by the way.
Thank you Geoff. I must be missing something obvious, but I cannot see how to correct the 'untitled' part by using your method. I have attached an image of what I get if I insert 'original file name' - it basically keeps the original file name which is not editable....see 'Example:' Even if I only put 'original file name' in the custom field, I still can't alter the text as the Metadata area in Lr has 'mixed' indicated under File Name.
I have, in the meantime found a brillint little programme called Renamer4Mac and have found that this can search for parts of a file string and substitutes the text for that selection. I would however like to know what I'm doing wrong in Lr as it's bugging me!
I intended for you to rename back to the original name first then name rename again with your intended string - tow lots of renaming. This works if in the file metadata is the original file name.