Skip navigation
moonlightgal
Currently Being Moderated

The header toolbox

Apr 4, 2012 7:39 PM

One thing I'n finding really annoying:

When you scan your mouse/pen over the file/edit/image/lay/type/selct etc areas, the drop down menus on occasion cover the options. For eg. I could have my mouse on edit looking for an option but decide maybe what I'm looking for is in image. I can't just move over to Image and it's drop down menus. I have to click outside the drop down box to close it and then scan my mouse over Image. This can also be annoying if I inadvertently scan over one of the ones I don't want on my way to the one I do want.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 4, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

What system are you using?  Mac or PC?  I don't see what you're describing.  Everything drops strictly downward. 

Do you have a small screen, to where the whole sub-menu won't fit vertically?

Here's what I'm seeing (you may have to click on this to see it animate):

MenusOpeningDownward.gif

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 6, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

You have your UI settings up so large that the menu doesn't fit vertically within the boundaries of the screen.

You can't have big fonts in menus that long and see things over the top of the menus.  That's not Photoshop but basic Windows operation.  You could change your display settings to make the menu fonts smaller.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 6, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

I'm sorry to say it sounds like a monitor with more vertical pixels or the ongoing inconvenience of having to work around super large menus are pretty much your only options.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

You might have a look at the

Start > Control Panel > Ease of Access Center

Then under the "Explore all settings", click "Make the computer easier to see"

Then scroll down to the "Make things on the scren larger" section, and click "Change the size of text and icons"

This should all take you to the "Display" control panel, where you can change the size of text and other items on screen.

I'm guessing yours is set to Larger - 150%, is that right?

You might try a smaller option if that suits your liking.

You will need to log off, and then log back in to see the changes.

Let us know how it goes!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

"The header toolbox"?  ??? !

You mean the Menu Bar!   

Don't mean to nit pick, but using the correct terminology is very helpful in a forum.  I honestly had no idea what you were talking about until I saw the screen shots.

Great job Noel and Pete.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 6, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

On another subject, moonlightgal, looking carefully at the above screen shots, do you feel the text in your images or mine seems to have more more color fringing?  It's pretty clear we have our systems set up to smooth fonts assuming the opposite arrangement of tiny colored stripes in the display (i.e., via the ClearType Tuner).

If you feel mine looks more color-fringed than yours, you're set up properly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to moonlightgal

Im curious as to what screen resolutuion your set at and are you using the default windows 7 aero theme?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to moonlightgal

Something else your might try is the windows classic theme, if the small text setting is too small.

With windows classic you should be able to go back to 125%.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to moonlightgal

That's the opposite of what I see.  I assume you must have run the ClearType Tuner to make the font smoothing look better.

It's likely you have a monitor that reverses the typical Red - Green - Blue orientation of the tiny colored stripes on the monitor display, for which the font-smoothing algorithms pre-compensate.  What brand and model is it?  Just curious.  I have a pair of (older) Dell Ultrasharp 2001 FPs.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to moonlightgal

One thing i did notice is your not running photoshop at fullscreen (the program window is not maximized) that would probably help with the menus at at bigger text dpi settings.

Also if you don't want to maximize, moving the application window more towards the top of the screen would probably help with the menus at larger text dpi settings.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to moonlightgal

I know EXACTLY what you mean, moonlightgal; I have exactly the same feelings and from the sounds of things I work like you do.  I like to keep the edges of desktop shortcuts I might choose to use visible at the top and bottom.  I could see from your screenshot you do too (mine was cropped to the edge of Photoshop).

Unfortunately, with menus as long as those in Photoshop, I think you'd either just need a much larger monitor or use a smaller font size to get them all to fit.  I'm not really fond of the idea of subdividing Photoshop's large menus into more sub-menus, as those take more effort to get to.

Maybe you should consider a Dell U3011 monitor upgrade. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points