• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .mts AVCHD files into Premiere Pro CS5.5: can it be done?

Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to import .mts files from a memory card into Premiere Pro? Whenever I try to, I get a message that reads "Codec not supported".
My camera is a Sony Alpha A55, and this worked perfectly well in Final Cut Pro X.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly

It is standard practice to ingest your files from the camera card to your local Hard Disk before loading them into a Premiere Project.

(Which only references the files in their location on the HDD)

"Codec not supported".

That could be another  issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't Premiere Pro CS5.5 actually copy imported files to a specified directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Premiere  only references the files in their location on the HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strictly speaking, isn't that worse than the alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont know what the alternative is.

Non Linear Edit systems need to know where the files are .

Having them on a Local HDD instead of the camera media is preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for example, Final Cut Pro copies the files off the camera directly into a project directory automatically, and converts .mts, .m2t and .m2ts to .mov. I'd stick with FCPX, but Premiere offers much more seamless integration with After Effects.

But I digress; is there a plugin for Premiere which would allow it to import .mts files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP needs to transcode mts files before it can edit them.

Premiere edits mts files natively.

You do not need a plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's my setup: I've copied the raw .mts files from the memory card, onto my computer. But when I use the media browser or finder to try and import the .mts files into Premiere, I get an unsupported codec message. What do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use MTS files from my AVCHD Canon Vixia camera just fine... AFTER I copy the files from the camera memory card to my hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I erased the old files and copied them again, now Premiere won't even recongnize them as supported files in the media browser, effectively rendering them invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that, they show up, but I still get the "unsupported codec" message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith will advise you better on this but are you copying the entire folder structure from the card to the HDD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, sorry, it's my first time using Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I still get the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this is where someone with a Mac needs to chime in.

It may just simply be that you need to load a piece of software that came with your camera.

Try a site search here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to copy the entire contents folder from the flash media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the entire PRIVATE folder from the card, to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2012 Jan 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sony web site lists the recording as AVCHD.  If it's not working for you after having done things properly, my best guess is that your install has lost MPEG functionality.

Do you have the full list of sequence presets available, or are you limited to I-frame codecs like DV and such?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes... Mac

I am on Windows and both MTS and the MP4 from my wife's Flip camera work perfectly with no extra installs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a MAC.  My procedure is copy entire directory structure from media card to HD.  In Premiere use Media browser to locate top level directory, select view as AVCHD and you should see your clips. from there you can import or view in source monitor.  My MTS clips are from a Canonand the top level directory is PRIVATE.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

change the mts extention to mpg, see it that works. if so, download free software called ReNamer and change the end extention to mpeg.

http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer

hope this helps.

Baz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I have a similar problem. I can locate the mts file but when I import it I get an error message: "the file has an unsupportted compression type".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines