Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Artboard Action/Script Crop to Artwork Bounds

Mar 16, 2009 2:54 PM

I have just finished manually cropping the artboard to fit the artwork bounds for 1500 files.

It is not possible to create an action or keyboard shortcut for artboard options. It is not even possible to set and save another default artboard size.

AI CS4 ships with sample scripts to add artboards, but I understand that it is not currently possible to write a script to modify the properties of a file's existing artboard.

There are several messages on the Illustrator forums requesting help to create an action to crop the artboard to the artwork, so this must be a reasonably common problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2009 1:30 PM   in reply to flovelett

I've been searching for the same functionality all morning.. nothing yet

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2009 10:21 PM   in reply to flovelett

I am not sure if my idea would help, but . . . would it be posible to create a top layer; create/place a box with no fill and no stroke for the purpose of using the mask feature?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2009 3:31 PM   in reply to flovelett

I feel your pain, everyday.

I have been trying to write a script to "crop" to selected artwork for some time.

For production I just save BACK to goodol' CS3, and use the "CROP TOOL" to crop to selected artwork.

Hey Adobe, can you BRING BACK THE CROP TOOL YOU HAD IN CS3 IN YOUR NEXT CS5.

Seems like a lot of people can use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 9:28 PM   in reply to flovelett

Ummm... I may be off withthis... but if you export an artboard as a jpeg or what not.... there is an option at the bottom that allows you to choose range of artboards to export.. when you choose a single artboard to export(instead of lets say artboards 1-4), it automatically crops the artboard to the artoboard bounds and exports the image correctly, with just the selected artboard. I never have to crop after doign this little method

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 12:13 AM   in reply to flovelett

i need to crop my EPS files.  it doesn't do me much good to crop while exporting to jpegs.  how can i crop my art to the artboard on saving the eps?  it seems like no matter what option i select for artboard, i still see the un-cropped image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 11:10 AM   in reply to flovelett

Does this help anyone?:

You can automatically create a new Artboard to fit precisely around any object by 1. Selecting the object, 2. Selecting the Artboard Tool, and then 3. Clicking on the object with the Artboard Tool. A new artboard will appear which wraps tightly around your object. Your old artboard will still be there, but you can zap it right away since the Artboard Tool is still active, or you can just note the Artboard number for when you go to export.

It's not a perfect solution, but nothing ever is with Adobe Illustrator.

When I used Corel Draw I could simply select anything and export it and the result would be cropped to the object.

Sigh.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to flovelett

You can actually record an action in Illustrator that resizes the artboard to, for example, "fit to artwork bounds."

1) Record your action (you will see that Illustrator does NOT record your artboard resize the first time around).

2) Once you've finished recording the action, select that action in the palette.

3) Then from the action palette menu select "insert menu item." A popup window will open. Once it does, you can then go back to the menu item to select "fit to artwork bounds" and it will physically insert your menu item into your custom Illustrator action.

{using Illustrator CS5 on a Mac)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to matthewguest

Seriously? Wow, that's a clever workaround to a bug if I've ever seen one, and after 3 years of pleas for help. Thank you. They still need to fix this though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)